M. Christie Helmer
- Washington State University, B.A. in English, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, graduated 1970
- Oregon, 1974
- Washington, 1999
- Oregon state and federal courts
- Ninth Circuit
- Washington state and federal courts
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in:
- Commercial Litigation
Tell us a little bit about your practice and what makes it unique.
- While I still do "domestic" commercial litigation, the focus of my practice is now cases with international aspects, including litigation in the U.S., litigation abroad, and international arbitration. There really are different issues, or different answers to issues, in cross-border cases!
What common questions are you asked by clients, and what are your answers?
- How much will this cost?
Answer: Let's talk about what "level" of answer you need. Do you need a detailed answer? Do you just want to know what I think based on relevant experience,?
Describe one of your most interesting or memorable cases in the past year.
- I don't think its a good idea to talk about clients' cases, even after they are completed, but I can tell you that cross-border cases are the most interesting I've ever handled. They involve as much "culture" as they do legal issues, and they are remarkably challenging. A great thing to have come to after a few decades of experience!
What is most challenging about your area(s) of expertise?
- Being sure you understand the client's needs and that the client understands you. Even when we are all speaking English, that's not easy. And, even when we are all U.S. based, it is difficult to explain to someone not familiar with other countries' legal systems just why/how they can't get what they are used to in the U.S.
Were there any particular inspirations (people or events) that spurred your interest in your practice area(s)?
- I've just always been interested in other cultures. There is always something we can learn from them in order to be better people and a better country.
What other interests do you have?
- Travel! Are you surprised?
Attorney Practice Areas
100 Oceangate, Suite 300
Long Beach, CA 90802
2801 Alaskan Way, Suite 300
Seattle, WA 98121-1128