Lara White has litigated cases in state and federal courts across the country for more than twenty years, including in some of the nation’s most difficult jurisdictions. She focuses her litigation practice on the strategic management of complex cases, including discovery, document management, witness development, briefing and presentation of dispositive motions, settlement evaluation and negotiation and trials. She has extensive experience supervising teams of attorneys and paralegals and managing joint defense team relationships.
Lara has represented clients at mediation and arbitration and is an American Arbitration Association-trained mediator. She is listed on the approved register of Civil Mediators maintained by the ADR Section of the Louisiana State Bar Association. She is currently mediating employment cases for the EEOC, and she is available for mediations and special master appointments. Lara is the Team Leader for the firm’s Alternative Dispute Resolution Team.
Examples of Lara’s contributions include:
- Working closely with clients in the chemical, consumer products, education, food and beverage, insurance, manufacturing, oil and gas, pharmaceutical and tobacco industries. Matters have ranged from straightforward negligence or breach of contract claims to complex litigation, including class actions, mass torts and multi-district litigation.
- Serving as national counsel and jurisdictional coordinator for major tobacco company in Florida Engle Mass Tort Litigation.
- Helping to defend and try a complicated products liability case to a jury in Texas state court involving a bus crash that killed and injured numerous passengers.
- Defending a client at arbitration after the firm was retained to handle the breach of contract claim on only several days' notice. Her involvement assisted in successfully reducing the client’s potentially significant exposure and damages.
- Managing a large electronic document review team in multidistrict pharmaceutical litigation in coordination with other national counsel.
- Successfully obtaining pre-trial resolution of numerous tobacco products liability cases through creative dispositive motion practice.
Lara has been actively involved in the American Bar Association Section of Litigation for more than ten years. Her recent leadership positions in the Section include serving as At-Large Council Member for the Section (2016-2019); serving on the Section's newly created Strategic Planning Committee (2016 – 2018), and being elected as a member of the 2016 Advisory Committee on Nominations. Lara has also served as co-chair of the ABA Section of Litigation Annual Meeting (2016); co-chair of the Section CLE for Women Litigators (2014 & 2015); co-chair of the Products Liability Committee (2012-2015); and member of the Regional Meetings Committee (2012-2015). In 2015, Lara was selected as a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation, which serves as the research arm of the American Bar Association and is limited to one percent of the lawyers admitted to practice in each jurisdiction of the United States.
Within the firm, Lara has spent many years serving in leadership roles, including working on the Retirement, Diversity and Recruiting Committees. In 2014, Lara helped to launch the Women’s Initiative and the first edition of the “Women Out in Front” newsletter, highlighting the law firm’s women attorneys’ achievements, awards, recognitions, and professional and community involvement. Lara continues to act as Co-chair of the Women’s Initiative and Editor of the semi-annual newsletter.
Locally, Lara is currently a member of the Board of Directors of the New Orleans Chapter of the Federal Bar Association (2016 –2017), and is active with the Chapter’s Philanthropy Committee. In addition, she is currently the Chair of the Products Liability Committee of the New Orleans Bar Association (2016-2017). She is a pro bono volunteer with HELP (Homeless Experience and Legal Protection) and The Pro Bono Project, and she acts as a pro bono mediator for the EEOC. Lara has worked with the Preservation Resource Center, a local nonprofit historic preservation organization, and is a member of her neighborhood association.