Recognized since 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Administrative and Public Law
Health Care Law
Kim Jakeman is a partner with Harper Grey LLP and Assistant Chair of the firm’s Health Law practice group.
Through Kim’s work as a practicing lawyer and mediator she has gained considerable insights into the challenges faced by professionals working in high stress environments. Given what is at stake, she has found that early intervention using a collaborative approach to the process of resolution produces the most positive results.
Kim maintains a busy ligation practice, including professional liability, personal injury and major property loss subrogation litigation. She has been counsel on a number of significant decisions in British Columbia including cases deciding the issue of causation in medical negligence.
Kim has over 25 years of conflict resolution experience with an emphasis on professional interactions and communication. She has represented professionals before Regulatory Bodies, Provincial Health Authorities and the Hospital Appeal Board. Kim also has a deep understanding of and key insights into the realm of mediation in civil litigation. She has taken advanced mediation courses through the Justice Institute, is on the Associate Roster with Mediate BC and is currently studying collaborative conflict resolution.
Kim has also developed niche expertise in the emerging legal field of MAID (medical assistance in dying). Kim is Chair of the National CBA End-of-Life Working Group convened to study the legal and ethical issues surrounding end of life decisions. On May 10, 2016, on behalf of the CBA, she presented before the Senate Standing Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs regarding Bill C-14, the proposed legislation to address MAID.
Born and raised in Alberta, Kim now lives in the Lower Mainland with her family. She is an accomplished athlete. She enjoys road biking, has completed two marathons and has dabbled a bit in the world of triathlons. Her athletic pursuits have allowed her to bring a strong sense of discipline and focus to her conflict resolution practice.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: https://www.harpergrey.com/lawyer/kimberly-jakeman/
- 650 West Georgia Street, Suite 3200
Vancouver, BC V6B 4P7
- British Columbia, Law Society of British Columbia
- Washington, Washington State Bar Association
- African Canadian Continuing Education Society (ACCES) - Past Board Member
- British Columbia College of Naturopaths - Past Board Member
- Canadian Bar Association - Chair, End of Life Working Group
- Canadian Bar Association - Mentor
- Canadian Bar Association - BC Branch, Health Law Subsection - Past Vice-Chair
- Canadian Bar Association - BC Branch, Health Law, Administrative Law and Civil Litigation Subsections - Member
- Canadian Bar Association National Health Law Summit - Co-Chair, 2009 and 2011
- Canadian Bar Association Planning Committee National Health Law Summit - Member, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2017
- Canadian Bar Association, National Health Law Subsection - Officer and Executive Member, since 2007
- Canadian Medical Protective Association Symposia - Speaker
- Defence Research Institute - Member
- Dying with Dignity Canada - Member, Legal Advisory Committee, standing committee of the Board of Directors
- Frequent lecturer on topics pertaining to professional negligence - Lecturer
- Medical Legal Society of British Columbia - Member
- Quickscribe Services Ltd. - Health Law Annotation Contributor
- University of British Columbia - Moot Court Judge
- Various publications on health law topics and the issue of conflicts - Author
- Washington State Bar Association - Member (non-practicing)
- WOWRide (Women on Wheels) Cycling Club - Board Member
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada™ 2022 for work in:
- Administrative and Public Law
- Health Care Law
- Medical Negligence
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® in Canada 2016 and 2017 as a leading lawyer in the area of Medical Negligence
- Rated "Repeatedly Recommended" in the area of Medical Negligence (Represents Defendants) by the Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2014, 2015, 2016
- Recognized as a “Local Litigation Star” in British Columbia by Benchmark Canada 2014, 2015, 2016
- Recognized as a “Future Star” in British Columbia in the area of Medical Malpractice by Benchmark Canada 2013
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.