Mr. Loo is a trial and appellate lawyer and has been a partner of Nathanson Schachter & Thompson LLP since 2001. Mr. Loo is recognized in Best Lawyers in the field of Corporate Commercial Litigation.
He represents clients in a wide range of commercial and business disputes such as breaches of contract, class actions, disputes arising from real estate and lease transaction, commercial fraud, professional negligence, claims among partners and shareholders, claims arising from franchise and dealership agreements, estate and will disputes, and employment and wrongful dismissal.
Mr. Loo regularly appears as counsel in the B.C. Supreme Court and Court of Appeal. He has also appeared in the trial division of the Federal Court and before various administrative tribunals. He has appeared in disciplinary proceedings as counsel on behalf of the Law Society of British Columbia
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Loo served as the judicial law clerk to Mr. Justice Gibbs, Mr. Justice Toy and Mr. Justice Hinds of the British Columbia Court of Appeal. Mr. Loo was called to the Bar of British Columbia in March 1994, and joined Nathanson, Schachter & Thompson LLP in September 1994.
Mr. Loo has acted as lead counsel and co-counsel on a wide range of commercial and business lawsuits and in doing so he has assisted many clients in successfully resolving their disputes both in and out of court. The following is a selection of cases which is representative of his experience:
• in Greater Vancouver Water District v. North American Pipe & Steel, successfully represented the municipal water authority before the Court of Appeal in a contract dispute regarding the supply of defective pipe.
• for McQuay International Inc. negotiated a settlement in a dispute involving the supply of commercial air conditioning systems.
• in a matter involving BC Place stadium, successfully represented BC Pavilion Corporation in negotiating a settlement with insurers and contractors of a claim relating to defects in and damage to the stadium’s roof panels.
Disputes among partners or shareholders
• in Collins v. Scherzer and Westcorp Solutions successfully represented a shareholder of a gas and oil services company in negotiating a settlement with the company’s other shareholder in a dispute regarding the operation of the company.
• acted for a law firm in defence of a claim by a former partner, who sought remedies for breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract
• acted for former partners of an architectural services firm in defence of claims advanced by and against their former partners.
Securities class actions
• defended a secondary markets class action on behalf of a mining company incorporated in British Columbia.
• inCellular Baby Cell Phones Accessories Specialist Ltd. v. Fido Solutions, successfully defended a claim at trial for more than $2 million brought by a company whose dealership agreement with Fido had been terminated.
• acts for Rogers Communications and Fido Solutions in litigation disputes between those companies and owners of wireless dealerships.
• acts as external litigation counsel for A&W Food Services of Canada in a wide range of matters.
• in The Matter of Wheatland Industrial Park Inc., represents the directors and promoters of a real estate investment joint venture against allegations advanced by other joint venturers.
• advises and acts for clients in a variety of leasing disputes, recently on behalf of the owners of a language school and the proprietors of a crossfit gym.
• advises clients, including senior executives and partners, in a broad range of employment matters -- most recently, successfully negotiating exit agreements for a vice president of one of BC’s largest credit unions, a partner in a national accounting firm, and vice presidents in two national investment firms.
- Bachelor of Commerce and Business Administration, University of British Columbia, 1989
- LL.B., University of Toronto, 1992
- Admitted to the British Columbia Bar, 1994
- Law Clerk to Mr. Justice Gibbs, Mr. Justice Toy and Mr. Justice Hinds of the British Columbia Court of Appeal, 1992-1993
- "Conducting an Effective Examination for Discovery", Lorman Education Services
- Course materials -- Effectively Using the New Rules for Civil Discovery, March 2010.
- Contributor - The British Columbia Civil Trial Handbook (3d ed, CLE 2010)
- "Handling and Interviewing Witnesses", (Chapter) CLE Course Materials for Commercial Litigation for Legal Support Staff, June 2006.
- “The Secondary Markets Class Action: process and terminology”, Professional Liability Underwriting Society, June 2014
- "The Beginning and the End: Tips for more Effective Opening and Closing Statements at Trial" , CLE Course Materials for Civil Litigation Basics, 2015