Joseph W. Royce
Recognized in:Litigation - Trusts and EstatesTrusts and Estates
Law School:Southwestern University
Location:1300 Post Oak Boulevard, Suite 2000Houston, TX 77056
- Southwestern University, graduated 1963
- University of Texas at Austin, graduated 1966
- American Bar Association - Member
- Houston Bar Association - Member
- Phi Delta Phi - Member
- State Bar of Texas - Member
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in:
- Litigation - Trusts and Estates
- Trusts and Estates
- AV Preeminent® rated (the highest possible Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating designation)
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in Woodward/White, Inc.'s The Best Lawyers in America in the fields of Trusts & Estates and Trusts & Estates Litigation (2008 – 2016)
- United States District Court
- United States Tax Court
- United States District Court, Southern District of Texas
- Representation of estate/trust beneficiaries in review of accountings of executor/trustee, resulting in addition of substantial value to trusts for the clients.
- Negotiation and implementation of agreement on behalf of estate beneficiary having significant impairments to provide for lifelong professional management of assets available to the beneficiary through her father's estate.
- Representation of fiduciary (executor/trustee) under will having individual and charitable beneficiaries which involved reformation of testamentary trust to provide substantial tax savings, settlement with individual beneficiary and his estate and appropriate distribution of assets to charitable beneficiaries.
- Representation of executor of decedent's estate whose beneficiaries included second wife and children by a prior marriage, with issues including tracing of community and separate property assets, negligence and contractual indemnity claims of third parties against the estate and appropriate disposition of unique assets, resulting in settlement of claims and comprehensive agreement among all beneficiaries regarding administration of estate and distribution of all assets.
- Representation of successor trustee under one spouse's will in review of accountings by executors of estate of surviving spouse/original trustee and negotiation and settlement of amounts due.
- Advice to fiduciaries and to beneficiaries under wills and trust agreements as to respective rights and responsibilities and procedures involved in fiduciary management of assets.
- Representation of clients before Internal Revenue Service regarding estate tax and gift tax disputes.