John is a Specialist in Environmental Law, certified by the Law Society of Upper Canada. He has expertise in matters relating to regulatory compliance and approvals, waste management and contaminated property. He provides environmental law advice and counsel to a wide range of clients in the private and public sectors, where his understanding of government and working relationships with regulators proves invaluable. He is knowledgeable in a number of technical areas, and is frequently called upon to review complex environmental reports. He also advises buyers, sellers and lenders on the environmental aspects of commercial and real estate transactions.
- Environmental Regulatory: compliance with environmental laws and regulations, environmental assessment, environmental approvals and interactions with government regulators, (particularly the Ontario Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change and Environment and Climate Change Canada),
- Administrative Tribunals: represents clients in proceedings before a variety of administrative tribunals, including the Ontario Environmental Review Tribunal, the Ontario Municipal Board and review panels under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act
- Environmental Litigation: represents clients before the courts in the defence of environmental prosecutions; provides litigation support in environmental civil actions
- Mergers and Acquisitions: advises buyers, sellers and lenders on the environmental aspects of a wide range of commercial and real estate transactions, particularly in relation to contaminated property and in transactions in the waste management and resource recovery sectors
- Freedom of Information: advises on access requests under freedom of information legislation, both provincial and municipal