John Leckie is a partner in the firm’s Vancouver office, practising primarily in the areas of marketing and advertising, promotional, competition, trademark and copyright law. Additionally, he has a significant trademark prosecution practice which includes filing and prosecuting trademark applications in Canada and enforcing clients' trademark rights both locally and internationally.
John’s clients include major advertisers and advertising agencies as well as several British Columbia Crown corporations. He provides advice in the following services:
- federal and provincial legislation relating to false and misleading advertising and deceptive marketing practices;
- comparative advertising;
- promotional contests;
- personality and privacy rights;
- trademark and copyright issues in the context of advertising;
- domain names and Internet advertising; and
- contractual matters relating to advertising.
Prior to entering the legal profession, John spent a number of years with major Vancouver advertising agencies as a media estimator and account executive. He joined Gowlings in 1995 after four years with another national Canadian law firm.