John Bergmann has been in the private practice of law since 1965, specializing as a trial lawyer in civil litigation involving commercial disputes, construction issues, product liability, professional liability, mass torts such as asbestos and tobacco, environmental claims, insurance law, insurance defense and personal injury cases. He frequently serves as an arbitrator and is increasing his practice as a mediator.
- Committees Served on: WSBA Disciplinary Board, KCBA Judicial Evaluation Committee, Medical Legal Committee and the Lawyers Assistance Program
- Past President of the Washington Defense Trial Lawyers
- Washington State Trial Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute and Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
John served as a guardian ad litem in Juvenile Court for several years following admission to practice. He is a past board member and former President of Group Homes of Washington, Inc.; has been active at the parish level of the St. Vincent de Paul Society; has coached youth soccer and basketball; and has served in his Catholic parish as lector, Eucharistic Minister, on its finance committee and in other volunteer positions.
Awards & Recognitions
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Advocate, American Board of Trial Advocates.
- Trial Lawyer of the Year, Washington Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates, 2006
John has presented several articles for inclusion in Continuing Legal Education materials for the Washington State Bar, King County Bar, Washington Defense Trial Lawyers, Washington State Trial Lawyers Association, National Business Institute and other organizations.
- University Washington School of Law (J.D., 1965)
- Gregorian University, Rome (1961)
- St. Thomas College (B.A., 1961)
- Pepperdine School of Law, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution (Training in Mediation Strategies, 2005)
Admitted to Practice
John has been admitted to the Washington State Bar since 1965, and is admitted to the United States Supreme Court, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Washington.