Johnny Lyle joined Adams and Reese in 2003 and leads the firm's Tax team. He practices in the firm's Birmingham and Mobile offices in the areas of corporate, partnership and limited liability company planning, franchise, estate planning, probate, trusts and estates, mergers and acquisitions, tax planning and tax controversies. He represents businesses, individuals and families.
Internally, Johnny assists other attorneys at Adams and Reese with regular tax and entity matters. He received his Master of Laws in Taxation from Emory University and is admitted to practice law in Alabama, Florida and Georgia.
His significant contributions include:
- Assisting a client with an IRS notice of deficiency for more than $70 million after the client had not filed a tax return for five years. Coordinating research with the client’s accounting firm and filing a petition in Tax Court, Johnny was able to obtain a tax refund for the client.
- Serving on the Alabama Law Institute committee that is revising Alabama’s Limited Liability Company Act. He also served on the committee that prepared the Alabama Revised Uniform Partnership Act.
- Serving on the Board of Directors of the Forest Landowners Tax Council, offering extensive experience in tax issues related to the purchase or sale of timber.
- Extensive experience in business succession and estate planning for families and family-owned businesses.
- Assisted clients with inbound and outbound international entity and transaction tax structures
Johnny is a member of the Board of Directors of the Estate Planning Council of Mobile, Inc., and the Finance and Taxation Committee of the Birmingham Business Alliance. He served as the Chairman of the Tax Section of the Alabama State Bar Association.
He is a member of the Family Firm Institute.
He is listed in Best Lawyers® - Tax Law, and is a frequent speaker on the topics of estate planning, business planning, family businesses, corporate, partnership, and limited liability company issues. In his free time, Johnny enjoys spending time with his family, reading, golf, softball, racquetball, and fishing.