John James has over 35 years of experience as a business/tax lawyer, working with businesses, entrepreneurs, and investors. He is known for his expertise in negotiating, structuring, and documenting transactions in various industries. Mr. James’ practice areas include: mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations, business formations, and real property transactions and syndications.
In addition to extensive work with liquidations and redemptions, debt restructurings and workouts, and pass-through entities, Mr. James also handles compensation structuring (option plans, deferred compensation, phantom stock plans), and business and tax planning, with particular emphasis in real property, corporate, partnership, and limited liability companies. Some other areas he concentrates on are tax-deferred transactions (like-kind exchanges, corporate reorganizations), tax audits and controversies (income, sales and property taxation), and rulings and advisory opinions from tax authorities.
He has been selected as one of the Best Lawyers in America since 2006 and was named "Corporate Lawyer of the Year" for Orange County by Best Lawyers in 2012.
Mr. James's practice areas include:
- Mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations
- Business formations, liquidations and redemptions
- Real property transactions and syndications
- Debt restructurings and workouts
- Pass-through entities
- Compensation structuring (e.g., option plans, deferred compensation, phantom stock plans)
- Business and tax planning, with particular emphasis in real property, corporate, partnership and limited liability companies
- Domestic taxation and structuring of business operations of foreigners
- Tax-deferred transactions (e.g., like-kind exchanges, corporate reorganizations)
- Tax audits and controversies (income, sales and property taxation)
- Rulings and advisory opinions from tax authorities
- LL.M. in Taxation, New York University School of Law, 1977
- J.D., Loyola University School of Law, 1976
- B.A., California State University, Fullerton, 1973