John has practiced law since 1974, specializing in civil litigation. He has represented litigants in a wide variety of cases, with particular emphasis on the defense of claims against professionals and businesses involved in health care. Many of his cases have involved serious personal injury or wrongful death claims. He also has considerable experience representing businesses in all types of contract and commercial disputes.
John is admitted to practice before the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, United States District Courts for Southern and Northern Districts of Indiana, and the courts of the State of Indiana.
In his 30 years of civil litigation practice, John has tried numerous cases in both federal and state court. His practice has always included cases where he worked in association with inside counsel, as well outside counsel.
His skills as a trial lawyer have been recognized by his induction into the American College of Trial Lawyers in 1993.
Health Care Litigation
- Defense of wrongful death claim versus medical device manufacturer whose product was used in the administration of a drug to the patient.
- Defense of a hospital in an alleged suicide of a patient involving complex questions of cause of death and analysis of post-mortem laboratory tests.
- Representation of both patients and healthcare providers delivering obstetric/labor and delivery and neonatal care to infants who sustained severe neurological injury.
- Defense of hospitals in claims involving alleged injuries from utilization of medical equipment, e.g. burns, infection.
- Defense of claims involving alleged unnecessary surgery.
- Defense of wrongful death claims against doctors involving complex issues of diagnosis and interpretation of laboratory tests.
- Representation of clients in failure to diagnose cancer cases.
- Representation of aviation companies in death and personal injury claims arising out of on-ground or in-flight occurrences.
- Representation of clients in claims of tortious interference with contract rights.
- Representation of clients in claims of contract disputes including the alleged wrongful termination of contracts.
- Representation of insurers and insureds in liability insurance policy coverage disputes.
- Representation of businesses in the sale of a business involving breach of warranty and fraud claims.
- Representation of business and employees in covenants not to compete cases.
- Representation of hospitals and health care providers in peer review/credentialing matters.
Healthcare Regulatory, Administrative and Operational Matters
- In addition to his extensive litigation in the healthcare area, John has also represented healthcare providers in various regulatory and administrative matters, including the following:
- The Ethics and Patient Referral Act (Stark).
- Licensure for institutions and individual healthcare providers.
- Medicare and Medicaid Anti-Kickback statutes.
- False Claims Act claims.
- Organization and operation of the medical staffs of hospitals and other healthcare entities.
- Physician recruitment, employment and termination of employment.