Recognized since 2006
Joan Snyder concentrates her practice in the areas of environmental law, natural resources law, environmental and natural resources insurance coverage, and health and safety law.
Joan regularly advises clients on all aspects of state and federal cleanups, including the defense of natural resource damages claims. She has successfully litigated environmental and insurance claims to favorable resolution in state and federal courts, before state and federal administrative law judges, and in arbitration and mediation. A former industrial chemist, Joan also provides clients with practical, cost-effective compliance counseling, including site investigation, remediation and health and safety compliance. She also has extensive experience in the environmental aspects of real estate and business transactions, including negotiating protective contractual terms, obtaining prospective purchaser agreements that limit liability and advising clients on disclosure obligations.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: https://www.stoel.com/people/joan-p-snyder
- 760 Southwest Ninth Avenue, Suite 3000
Portland, OR 97205
- University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, J.D., graduated 1984
- Oregon, Oregon State Bar
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Environmental Law, Portland, OR (2019)
- Environmental Law, Portland, OR (2017)
- Environmental Law, Portland, OR (2010)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Environmental Law
- Clean Water Act
- Enforcement Defense
- Environmental Cleanup
- Environmental Permitting
- Plaintiffs/Citizen's Suits
- RCRA/Hazardous Waste
- Solid Waste
- Superfunds/Environmental Remediation
- Selected as one of “America’s Leading Lawyers for Business” (Oregon) by Chambers USA (currently: Environment), 2006–present
- Listed in Oregon Super Lawyers® (Environmental, Insurance Coverage, Environmental Litigation, Energy & Natural Resources), 2008–2020
- Annual Award, Oregon State Bar Environmental and Natural Resources Section, 2018
"Joan Snyder is one of the most thorough, focused, and competent environmental lawyers, with the ability to identify key opportunities and problems early on and drive to successful conclusions."
- Thomas Zelenka (Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc.)
"Joan can think strategically, and in my experience is usually ahead of others in the room as far developing strategies that place a client at an advantage relative to the client's adversaries. In addition, Joan has a degree of tactfulness that really helps a client achieve their goals in a negotiation context."
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.