Jan Hetland has closed hundreds of tax credit and affordable housing transactions across the country. She works to anticipate the needs of clients and to proactively address those needs before issues arise. With this approach, she guides investors, community development entities, syndicators, lenders, for-profit and nonprofit developers and businesses in effectively using tax credit and other development incentives to achieve their business goals.
Tax credit enhanced financing typically involves multiple layers of debt and equity that present challenging business, tax, and legal issues. Ms. Hetland combines her multidisciplinary experience with innovative techniques to structure, document and close these multifaceted transactions in a timely and cost-efficient manner. She also assists clients in handling post-closing asset management and exit issues and strategies.
Her experience includes:
- Mixed-use projects, involving a variety of ownership structures and of tax credit financing structures
- Public private partnership transactions
- Twinned historic and new markets tax credit investments
- Twinned historic and low-income housing tax credit investments
- Non-profit participation in tax credit projects
- Master lease structures
- Tax-exempt bond financing
- HUD financing and state and local subordinate loan financing
- Tax increment financing
- Tax credit compliance and workout matters
- Exit issues and strategies