A leading Texas trial lawyer, Jim Richardson handles significant lawsuits in numerous practice areas.
Jim has been recognized as a top trial lawyer in Commercial Litigation by Best Lawyers in America® every year since 2012. In numerous years, he has been named a Top 50 Central & West Texas Super Lawyer® (covering the region of Austin, San Antonio and El Paso), as published by Thompson Reuters in its annual “Top List.” He is currently listed as a Texas Best Lawyer® by Woodward/White and a Texas Top Rated Lawyer® by ALM. The firm is nationally ranked Tier 1 in Commercial Litigation by U.S. News and World Report and Best Law Firms®.
In 2017, Jim was elected President-Elect of the National Board of Trial Advocacy – the largest organization for attorney board certification in the United States. He holds multiple Board Certifications – one by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Civil Trial law – and two by the National Board of Trial Advocacy in Civil Trial Advocacy and Civil Pretrial Practice. He is a Member of the American Board of Trial Advocates, an invitation-only national organization of renowned trial lawyers and judges dedicated to preserving the right to a civil jury trial.
Jim has obtained verdicts and settlements in numerous significant cases, including multimillion-dollar contract and fraud suits, partnership disputes, shareholder derivative cases, claims for unfair competition and employment, professional liability, and real estate, environmental, construction, probate, and trust litigation.
He began the practice of law with Fulbright & Jaworski in Houston, Texas, later serving as managing partner in charge of complex litigation for two renowned litigation boutiques in Austin, Texas.
- Board Certified - Civil Trial Advocacy, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Board Certified - Civil Pretrial Advocacy, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Board Certified - Civil Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
- President-Elect, National Board of Trial Advocacy, national organization (2018-2020)
- President, Austin Chapter, National Board of Trial Advocacy (2015-present); Member, National Board of Directors (2015-present); Civil Trial Advocate (2002-present); State Coordinator–Texas (2013-present); Executive Committee (2016-present); Advisory Committee (2009-present); Long Range Planning Committee (2015-present)
- Immediate Past-Chair, Civil Litigation Section, Austin Bar Association, 2016-present; Chair, 2015-16; Vice-Chair, 2013-14; Treasurer, 2012-13; Secretary 2011-12)
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates (2012-present)
- Fellow, American College of Board Certified Attorneys (2015-present)
- Rules of Evidence Committee of the State Bar of Texas (1996-98)
- Disciplinary Rules of Professional Conduct Committee of the State Bar of Texas (2000-04)
- Panel Chair, District 9A Grievance Committee of the State Bar of Texas (2002-03) (Member from 1997)
- Board of Directors, Austin Bar Association (1997-99)
- Special Assistant Attorney General, State of Texas, Civil Rights Prison Reform Litigation (1981-82)
- Master of the Bench, American Inns of Court, Robert W. Calvert Chapter (2005-present);
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation (1999-present)
- Founding Life Fellow, Austin Bar Foundation (2005-present)
Scholarly Lectures and Writings:
- Presenter, 13th Annual Ultimate Trial Notebook®, Trial Advocacy Skills, Presented by the Austin Bar Association Civil Litigation Section (Nov. 2017)
- Co-Chair/Presenter, Essential Trial Advocacy Workshop®, presented by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, hosted by Jackson Walker LLP (October 2017)
- Co-Chair/Moderator, 12th Annual Ultimate Trial Notebook® 2016 (additionally co-chaired 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th Annual Ultimate Trial Notebook®)
- Presenter, Texas Lawyers and the Disciplinary Process (2014)
- Presenter, Lawyers and Social Network Media Websites: Litigation and Advertising Issues, American Inns of Court, Austin, Texas (Nov. 2009)
- Author, Advanced Courtroom Evidence Examination, National Board of Trial Advocacy (2009)
- Ask a Super Lawyer,” Automated Camera Defenses, Texas Monthly (Oct. 2006)
- Author, Advanced Courtroom Evidence Examination, National Board of Trial Advocacy (2006)
- Co-Chair and Presenter, National Business Institute, How to Litigate Your First Civil Trial in Texas, Austin, Texas (2002)
- Panelist, Review of Litigation/Texas Center for Legal Ethics and Professionalism, Conflicts of Interest Symposium: Cutting Edge Conflicts of Interest Hypotheticals, Austin, Texas (1997)
- Presenter, Advanced Civil Trial Course, Offering and Excluding Evidence, Houston, Texas (State Bar of Texas 1996)
- Presenter, Austin Bar Association, Offering and Excluding Evidence in Commercial Trials, Austin, Texas (1996)
- Presenter, Advanced Civil Trial Course, Sanctions and Alternatives to Sanctions, Houston, Texas (State Bar of Texas 1996)
- Presenter, Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Texas Rules of Evidence: Predicates and Exclusions for Selected Rules, Lake Tahoe, Nevada (1996)
- Presenter, Advanced Civil Trial Course, Offering and Excluding Evidence, Fort Worth, Texas (State Bar of Texas 1996)
- Presenter, Advanced Civil Trial Course, Offering and Excluding Evidence, San Antonio, Texas (State Bar of Texas 1996)
- Panelist, Houston Board of Realtors, Dual Agency and Broker Liability, Houston, Texas (1986)
- Nova Health Systems, Preparing for the Jury Trial, San Antonio, Texas (1986)
- Author, Whom Do You Represent? Knowing Your Principals – Accidental Agency (co-author), 39 Texas Realtor 6 (Feb. 1986)
- Panelist, Texas Association of Realtors, Litigation Tips for the Unwary, Austin, Texas (1985)
- Author, Helicopteros Nacionales v. Hall: Clarifying the Limits of Personal Jurisdiction, 48 Texas Bar J. 651 (1985)
Verdicts and Settlements:
- Represented the plaintiff in invasion of privacy claims stemming from secret videotape recordings, confidential settlement reached.
- Represented the executor in a trial of a probate action alleging breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty, judgment for the executor.
- Represented national company in suit for alleged theft of trade secrets, confidential settlement reached.
- Represented the executor in a probate action related to alleged breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty, case against executor dismissed.
- Prosecuted invasion of privacy claims related to installation of computer spyware, confidential settlement reached.Prosecuted action for breach of contract and conversion of fiber optic capacity in a suit for alleged pricing overcharges in the United States, confidential settlement reached.
- Lead counsel in an action involving construction defects, breach of contract, and alleged real estate fraud regarding sale of 350,000 square foot building, confidential settlement reached.
- Represented the plaintiffs on alleged claims for fraud and breach of cont