Jim Richardson handles business torts, contract claims, corporate and partnership disagreements, and lawsuits involving intentional fraud, unfair competition, real estate, construction, and probate litigation.
In 2017, Jim was named President-Elect of the National Board of Trial Advocacy for 2018-20 at its annual Board Meeting in Boston, Massachusetts. As the largest organization for attorney Board Certification in the United States, the National Board of Trial Advocacy certifies lawyers in advanced specialty areas of trial advocacy, including civil trial law, criminal trial law, family trial law, civil pretrial practice law, and social security disability advocacy.
A Member of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), Jim has been recognized by Best Lawyers in America® every year since 2012, and has been named a Top 50 Central & West Texas Super Lawyer® in multiple years, as researched by Thomson Reuters. He is peer-rated AV® Preeminent™ 5.0-5 by Martindale-Hubbell, in addition to being named a Texas Top Rated Lawyer® by ALM/LexisNexis. Both U.S. News and World Report and Best Lawyers ranks his firm as Tier 1 in Commercial Litigation. A Past Chair of the Civil Litigation Section of the Austin Bar Association, Jim has been recognized as one of Texas Best Lawyers® every year since 2012. He is a Master of the Robert W. Calvert American Inn of Court.
Jim began his trial practice with the Houston law firm of Fulbright
& Jaworski, and for a period of years preceding his current firm,
served as managing partner for two renowned litigation boutiques in
Austin, Texas, handling significant lawsuits and trials statewide. He
holds three Board Certifications – one by the Texas Board of Legal
Specialization in Civil Trial Law – and two by NBTA in Civil Trial Advocacy and Civil Pretrial Practice.
- Board Certified - Civil Trial Advocacy, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Board Certified - Civil Pretrial Advocacy, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Board Certified - Civil Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
- President-Elect, National Board of Trial Advocacy, Wrentham, Massachusetts (2018-2020)
- President, Austin Chapter, National Board of Trial Advocacy (2015-present); Member, National Board of Directors (2015-present); Civil Trial Advocate (2002-present); State Coordinator–Texas (2013-present); Executive Committee (2016-present); Advisory Committee (2009-present); Long Range Planning Committee (2015-present)
- Immediate Past-Chair, Civil Litigation Section, Austin Bar Association, 2016-present; Chair, 2015-16; Vice-Chair, 2013-14; Treasurer, 2012-13; Secretary 2011-12)
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Fellow, American College of Board Certified Attorneys (2015-present)
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America (2015-present)
- Rules of Evidence Committee of the State Bar of Texas (1996-98)
- Disciplinary Rules of Professional Conduct Committee of the State Bar of Texas (2000-04)
- Panel Chair, District 9A Grievance Committee of the State Bar of Texas (2002-03) (Member from 1997)
- Board of Directors, Austin Bar Association (1997-99)
- Special Counsel to the Attorney General of Texas, 1982 (by appointment)
- Master of the Bench, American Inns of Court, Robert W. Calvert Chapter (2005-present);
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation (1999-present)
- Founding Life Fellow, Austin Bar Foundation (2005-present)
Scholarly Lectures and Writings:
- Co-Chair/Presenter, Essential Trial Advocacy Workshop®, presented by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, hosted by Jackson Walker LLP (October 2017)
- Co-Chair/Moderator, 12th Annual Ultimate Trial Notebook® 2016 (additionally co-chaired 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th Annual Ultimate Trial Notebook®)
- Presenter, Model State Emergency Health Powers Act (March 2015)
- Presenter, Texas Lawyers and the Disciplinary Process (2014)
- Presenter, Lawyers and Social Network Media Websites: Litigation and Advertising Issues, American Inns of Court, Austin, Texas (Nov. 2009)
- Author, Advanced Courtroom Evidence Examination, National Board of Trial Advocacy (2009)
- Presenter, Tort Reform Time Machine, American Inns of Court, Austin, Texas (Mar. 2007)
- Ask a Super Lawyer,” Automated Camera Defenses, Texas Monthly (Oct. 2006)
- Presenter, Litigating Disaster Recovery Issues, American Inns of Court, Austin, Texas (Oct. 2006)
- Author, Advanced Courtroom Evidence Examination, National Board of Trial Advocacy (2006)
- Co-Chair and Presenter, National Business Institute, How to Litigate Your First Civil Trial in Texas, Austin, Texas (2002)
- Panelist, Review of Litigation/Texas Center for Legal Ethics and Professionalism, Conflicts of Interest Symposium: Cutting Edge Conflicts of Interest Hypotheticals, Austin, Texas (1997)
- Presenter, Advanced Civil Trial Course, Offering and Excluding Evidence, Houston, Texas (State Bar of Texas 1996)
- Presenter, Austin Bar Association, Offering and Excluding Evidence in Commercial Trials, Austin, Texas (1996)
- Presenter, Advanced Civil Trial Course, Sanctions and Alternatives to Sanctions, Houston, Texas (State Bar of Texas 1996)
- Presenter, Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Texas Rules of Evidence: Predicates and Exclusions for Selected Rules, Lake Tahoe, Nevada (1996)
- Presenter, Advanced Civil Trial Course, Offering and Excluding Evidence, Fort Worth, Texas (State Bar of Texas 1996)
- Presenter, Advanced Civil Trial Course, Offering and Excluding Evidence, San Antonio, Texas (State Bar of Texas 1996)
- Panelist, Houston Board of Realtors, Dual Agency and Broker Liability, Houston, Texas (1986)
- Nova Health Systems, Preparing for the Jury Trial, San Antonio, Texas (1986)
- Author, Whom Do You Represent? Knowing Your Principals – Accidental Agency (co-author), 39 Texas Realtor 6 (Feb. 1986)
- Panelist, Texas Association of Realtors, Litigation Tips for the Unwary, Austin, Texas (1985)
- Author, Helicopteros Nacionales v. Hall: Clarifying the Limits of Personal Jurisdiction, 48 Texas Bar J. 651 (1985)
Verdicts and Settlements:
- Represented the plaintiff in invasion of privacy claims stemming from secret videotape recordings, confidential settlement reached.
- Represented the executor in a trial of a probate action alleging breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty, judgment for the executor.
- Represented national company in suit for alleged theft of trade secrets, confidential settlement reached.
- Represented the executor in a probate action related to alleged breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty, case against executor dismissed.
- Prosecuted invasion of privacy claims related to installation of computer spyware, confidential settlement reached.Prosecuted action for breach of contract and conversion of fiber optic capacity in a suit for alleged pricing overcharges in the United States, confidential settlement reached.
- Lead counsel in an action involving construction defects, breach of contract, and alleged real estate fraud regarding sale of 350,000 square foot building, confidential settlement reached.
- Represented the plaintiffs on alleged claims for fraud and breach of cont