James M. Miller
Recognized in:Commercial Litigation
Location:Three Brickell City Centre, Suite 110098 Southeast Seventh StreetMiami, FL 33131
- Florida, The Florida Bar
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- American Bar Association - Litigation Law Section, Member; Corporation Law Section, Member; Banking and Business Law Section, Member
- Miami Museum of Science - Past President and Chairman of the Museum's Community Board
- The Network of Trial Law Firms - Chairman, 2013
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in:
- Commercial Litigation
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV rated
- Florida Trend's Legal Elite, Listed for Commercial Litigation
- South Florida Legal Guide Top Lawyers, Listed for Corporate and Commercial Litigation, and Corporate and Business Litigation
- The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers, Listed for Commercial Litigation
- Super Lawyers Magazine, Listed in Florida for Business Litigation, Franchise/Dealership, and Intellectual Property Litigation
- Benchmark Litigation, Listed as a Florida litigation star for Commercial Litigation
- Akerman's Guide to Doing Business in Florida: A Legal Guide for Out-of-State and Foreign Businesses, Author, "Dispute Resolution in Florida," 2011, 2013, and 2016
- Litigation: Management or Mayhem? You Choose, Speaker, "Alternative Fee Arrangements- to Pay or Not to Pay, That is the Question," October 2014
- The Network of Trial Law Firms Seminar, Moderator, "Early Case Evaluation," Arizona 2012
- The Network of Trial Law Firms Seminar, Moderator, "Litigation Management," California 2012
- Guide to Doing Business in Florida, Co-Author, "State Trade Regulations," August 2011
- Kroll Webinar, Presenter, "The Subprime Mortgage Meltdown & Financial Fallout: From Foreclosure to the Courtroom," October 2008
- Led investigation into employee theft of trade secrets and corporate opportunities and resulting litigation for a leading private jet charter company.
- Representation of major internet news organization seeking injunctive relief against former employees charged with violating non-compete agreements and theft of trade secrets.
- Representation of textile and chemical manufacturer in the collection of a multi-million dollar judgment against Chinese competitors while coordinating proceedings in several different jurisdictions.
- Representation of European search engine optimization ("SEO") company in litigation against former U.S. partner for breach of asset sales agreement and unfair competition.
- Representation of company engaged in the business of internet marketing of "virtual gold" for the online game "World of Warcraft" including a federal court class action and State of Florida Attorney General investigation.
- Representation of bank in federal jury trial against mortgage banker for breach of repurchase agreement of subprime loan portfolio.
- Representation of telecom company under the Federal Communications Act.Wholesale Telecom Corp. v. ITC Deltacom Communications, Inc., 2006 WL 988480 (C.A. 11, April 2006)
- Obtained dismissal of contract action on basis of forum non conveniens; affirmed on appeal. Dignam v. Africair, Inc., 917 So. 2d 905 (Fla. 3d DCA 2005)
- Representation of the former chief lending officer of Sunrise Savings and Loan Association in federal multi-district litigation comprised of a number of shareholder class actions and an action brought by the Federal Deposit Corporation (In re Sunrise Securities Litigation, MDL 655) in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. At the time of its closure Sunrise was the largest savings and loan failure in the United States, and the claims asserted by the plaintiffs in the consolidated cases totaled nearly $1 billion. The multi-district litigation resulted in 11 reported decisions, including In re Sunrise Securities Litigation, 916 F. 2d 874 (3d Cir. 1990).
- Representation of the former board of directors and president of Flagler Federal Savings and Loan Association in an investigation brought by the FDIC arising out of the failure of Flagler Federal.
- Representation of the chief financial officer of College Bound, Inc. in connection with the failure of that publicly traded company, in a shareholders class action and SEC investigation.
- Representation of a former director of Olympic International Bank and Trust Company of Boston, Massachusetts in an action in the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
- Representation of former Attorney General Janet Reno when she was the Dade County State Attorney in a federal civil rights case. Brown v. Reno, 584 F. Supp. 504 (S.D. Fla. 1984)
- Representation in defense of Blockbuster Video Stores in a consumer class action.
- Representation of distributors of lighting appliances against the manufacturer in a state antitrust claim. Day v. Le-Jo Enterprises, Inc., 521 So. 2d 175 (Fla. 3d DCA 1988)
- Representation of the Republic of Haiti in efforts to recover assets misappropriated by the former president of that country. Republic of Haiti v. Crown Charters, Inc., 667 F. Supp. 839 (S.D. Fla. 1987)
601 West Fifth Street, Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA 90071
1900 Sixteenth Street, Suite 1700
Denver, CO 80202
District of Columbia
District of Columbia
750 Ninth Street, NW, Suite 750
Washington, DC 20001
1875 NW Corporate Boulevard, Suite 275
Boca Raton, FL 33431
350 East Las Olas Boulevard, Suite 1600
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
50 North Laura Street, Suite 3100
Jacksonville, FL 32202
9128 Strada Place, Suite 10205
Naples, FL 34108
420 South Orange Avenue, Suite 1200
Orlando, FL 32801
106 East College Avenue, 12th Floor
Tallahassee, FL 32301
401 East Jackson Street, Suite 1700
Tampa, FL 33602
West Tower, Suite 1100
777 South Flagler Drive
West Palm Beach, FL 33401
71 South Wacker Drive, 47th Floor
Chicago, IL 60606
601 Poydras Street, Suite 2200
New Orleans, LA 70130
1635 Village Center Circle, Suite 200
Las Vegas, NV 89134
666 Fifth Avenue, 20th Floor
New York, NY 10103
500 West Second Street, Suite 1900
Austin, TX 78701
2001 Ross Avenue, Suite 3600
Dallas, TX 75201
1300 Post Oak Boulevard, Suite 2500
Houston, TX 77056
112 East Pecan Street, Suite 2750
San Antonio, TX 78205
170 South Main Street, Suite 725
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
One South Pinckney Street, Suite 700
Madison, WI 53703