Jay Costan is a partner in Dentons' Energy practice. Jay represents clients on a wide range of public utility and energy matters, including energy transactions and federal and state regulation of the sale and transmission of electricity, natural gas and LNG and the licensing of energy projects.
He has extensive experience in the handling matters before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, the US Department of the Interior, the US Department of Energy and the United States Courts of Appeals.
He also has experience in assisting clients in the development of natural gas and power projects outside the U.S.
- Advising power companies in the development of new merchant power projects and in the acquisition and sale of existing power plants inside and outside the U.S.
- Advising power developers with respect to large generator interconnection agreements and other agreements associated with the delivery of their supplies of power to the grid.
- Representing institutional and industrial end users, energy producers and marketing companies in the procurement and sale of energy supply and associated transmission services, including under the NAESB contract, the EEI electric contract, and retail purchase and sales contracts.
- Assisting electric generators and energy service companies in structuring, negotiating and drafting power sales agreements and energy management and fuel management agreements to "outsource" the fuel supply function and the marketing function for sales of excess power.
- Advising clients with respect to offtake agreements for LNG or gas supply or tolling services from LNG terminals.
- Representing clients before the Department of Energy in connection with imports or exports of natural gas.
- Advising pipelines and storage operators in the siting, development and licensing of new pipeline and storage projects.
- Representing natural gas producers on the Outer Continental Shelf regarding regulation of OCS pipelines.
- Representing local distribution companies in interstate pipeline rate, certificate and rulemaking proceedings.
- Advising electric and gas marketing companies on federal and state regulation relating to the transmission and sale of electricity and natural gas.
- Representing energy companies in certificate, rate, complaint, rulemaking and restructuring proceedings before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and state utility commissions.