James K. Irvin
Recognized in:Commercial LitigationInsurance Law...
Location:909 Poydras Street, Suite 2300New Orleans, LA 70112-1010
- Dartmouth College, Bachelor of Arts , graduated 1963
- Louisiana, All State and Federal
- United States, Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States, Supreme Court
- American Bar Association Antitrust and Litigation Sections - Member
- Defense Research Institute - Member
- Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel - Former Board Member
- New Orleans Association of Defense Counsel - Member
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers for:
- Litigation and Controversy - Tax, New Orleans (2018)
- Insurance Law, New Orleans (2016)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in:
- Commercial Litigation
- Insurance Law
- Litigation and Controversy - Tax
Areas of Expertise:
Tell us a little bit about your practice and what makes it unique.
- Basic commercial and insurance litigation, but unique in the sense that no two cases seem alike. I enjoy learning about different kinds of businesses.
What common questions are you asked by clients, and what are your answers?
- How can I end this litigation quickly and inexpensively? There are certain procedural devices that may be available. We don’t have to depose every single possible witness. We may be able to stipulate certain facts.
Describe one of your most interesting or memorable cases in the past year.
- Several years ago I was involved in a case arising from a marine construction company’s dropping a 2000-ton drilling rig jacket in the Gulf of Mexico. This past year I defended the seller of a residential tract of property in a suit over what was thought to be a common alley between that tract and an adjoining one. The cases were at opposite ends of the magnitude spectrum, but both involved complex legal and fact issues, and both ended favorably to my clients.
What is most challenging about your area(s) of expertise?
- Keeping abreast of changes in the law and changes in the technology affecting the practice.
Were there any particular inspirations (people or events) that spurred your interest in your practice area(s)?
- Professor of International Law Harold Maier, who got me started on the road to becoming a good writer, and several of my early practicing mentors who instilled in me the need always to be ethical and professional in my dealings with clients and other lawyers. I have followed this credo in connection with being the ethics partner in my firm and in my work as a hearing committee chair in the attorney disciplinary process.
What other interests do you have?
- I like to play tennis, golf and bridge. As in my law practice, in these recreational pursuits I love to compete fairly and to win; I hate to lose.
Anything else you’d like to share?
- That about sums it up. I’m not good at self-adulation.
Lawyer Practice Areas
6421 Perkins Road
Building B, Suite B
Baton Rouge, LA 70808
101 La Rue France, Suite 200
Lafayette, LA 70508
68031 Capital Trace Row
Mandeville, LA 70471