When should we talk?
Let’s talk when they try to put you in prison and your business out of business.
I defend businesses and individuals in white-collar criminal cases, and I guide them through corporate internal investigations.
What do I work on every day? Corporate internal investigations, kickback cases, government-contract fraud, grand jury investigations, gaming issues, defense of criminal environmental offenses, public-corruption enforcement, due diligence issues under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Congressional investigations, election contests, defense of health-care entities in civil and criminal matters including Medicare fraud and qui tam lawsuits under the False Claims Act and investigations by military officials.
I blog on white-collar matters, White Collar Wire, and publish the firm’s Twitter feed about white-collar crime and enforcement matters, @WhiteCollarWire.
What else might be useful to know?
Out of law school, I was a judicial clerk to Judge David B. Sentelle, United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit. Then I practiced at Covington & Burling (also in Washington, D.C.) before I became Special Counsel to the House Banking Committee (now called the Financial Services Committee). As Special Counsel to the Committee for its Whitewater investigation, I oversaw a team whose work culminated in four days of nationally-televised hearings in August 1995. I was also Special Counsel in 2016 to the Judiciary Committee of the Alabama House of Representatives for the impeachment investigation of Governor Robert Bentley.
Sometimes, I teach: I’ve been an Adjunct Professor of Law at Washington & Lee University and the University of Alabama, and I have helped out with a course on Electronic Discovery at Cumberland School of Law.
Professional & Community Activities:
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- American Bar Association, White Collar Crime Committee of the Section on Criminal Justice
- Edward Bennett Williams American Inn of Court, former member (only Inn devoted solely to white collar crime)
- Birmingham American Inn of Court, Barrister
- Alabama State Board of Bar Examiners, former examiner
- Birmingham Bar Association, Grievance Committee, former chairman
- Washington & Lee University Alumni Association, former national president
- Mountain Brook Lacrosse Association, former president
- Cathedral Church of the Advent, former Vestry member
Awards & Accolades
- Benchmark Litigation “2018 Litigation Star”
- Mid-South Super Lawyer for Criminal Defense: White Collar, 2017
Seminars, Articles and Speeches
- “Impeachment Lessons for Internal Investigations,” Southeastern Business Law Institute (2017)
- “How Lightfoot lawyers earned their stripes in high-profile government investigations,” (2017)
- “Corporate Internal Investigations,” Alabama Chapter, Association of Corporate Counsel (2016)
- “Investigations,” Legal Counsel Conference, Birmingham, Alabama (2016)
- “Civil Lessons from Criminal Trials,” Network of Trial Law Firms, Chicago (2012)
- “Cost versus Value: Beyond Budgets, Towards Trust,” Network of Trial Law Firms, New York, New York (August 7, 2009)