J. Theodore Gentry
Recognized in:Appellate PracticeCommercial Litigation...
Law School:Yale Law School
Location:44 East Camperdown WayP.O. Box 728Greenville, SC 29602-0728
- Yale Law School, graduated 1987
- Wake Forest University, graduated 1983
- South Carolina, South Carolina Bar
- Foothills Philharmonic - Principal Bassoonist
- Greenville Rotary Club - Member
- National Association of College and University Attorneys - Member
- Peace Center for the Performing Arts - Board Member and General Counsel
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in:
- Appellate Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Employment Law - Management
- Labor Law - Management
- Litigation - Labor and Employment
- Recognized as "Legal Elite" by the Greenville Business Magazine, 2012
- Listed in Chambers USA, 2011-Present
- Listed in South Carolina Super Lawyers, 2007-Present
- United States Court of Appeals
Areas of Expertise:
- Class Actions
- Covenants Not to Compete
- State and Federal
Attorney Case History
- Pitts v. Jackson National Life Insurance: Defended this insurance practices class action in state court in South Carolina. After conditional certification of a class, obtained summary judgment on the merits, which was upheld on appeal.
- Cook v. Liberty Life: Defended insurance company in this insurance contract interpretation class action. We obtained summary judgment on the merits.
- Stoddard v. Smart Corporation and Hiller v. Smart Corporation. Represented defendant in these two antitrust class actions – one in federal court, one in state court – alleging monopolistic practices in the copying of medical records. We obtained summary judgment on the merits in both cases.
- Spartanburg Regional Hospital System v. Hillenbrand: Worked actively as local counsel in defending this antitrust class action, which alleged antitrust violations arising out of alleged "bundled discounts."
- Peacock v. Thomas. Obtained 8–1 victory in the United States Supreme Court in this appeal arising out of an ERISA claim.
- Klein v. Video Update. Obtained seven-figure award on behalf of executive in suit over unpaid wages.
College & Universities
- Obtained summary judgment for college in contract claim by professory alleging failure to consider tenure
- Obtained summary judgment for college in tort claim brought by ROTC instructor against college and one of its deans
- Obtained preliminary injunction preventing attempted removal of clients as trustees of private college
- Advised generally on a wide range of concerns, including FERPA, student discipline, Clery Act compliance, Title IX compliance and litigation, relationships with supporting organizations and entities, and articles and bylaws revisions