Paul has experience in general obligation and revenue bond financing, short-term municipal financing, project financing, municipal lease financing, and federal tax law relating to public finance. For the past 43 years, he has furnished advice, advocacy and representation to municipalities throughout Vermont. Paul has served as general, bond and special counsel to large and small towns, cities, school districts and special purpose local government organizations. For more than 35 years, he has assisted municipal clients in permanent and temporary financings through the Vermont Municipal Bond Bank, local and regional commercial banks, and national underwriters. In addition, he has served as special counsel to health and educational institutions that finance their capital projects through the Vermont Economic Development Authority, the Vermont Educational and Health Buildings Financing Agency, and the Business Finance Authority of the State of New Hampshire. Paul’s practice area is divided between public finance law and general municipal law.
- Rossetti v. Chittenden County Transit Authority (165 VT 61)
- Baker v. State (170 VT 194) (amicus)
- Northwest Vermont Solid Waste Management District v. Central Vermont Solid Waste Management District (159 VT 61)
- Vermont Department of Public Service v. Massachusetts Municipal Wholesale Electric Company (151 VT 73) (amicus)
- Lecturer, author and participant in numerous continuing legal education programs and publications relating to state and federal public finance law. Draftsman public finance and municipal legislation.
Pro Bono Activities:
- Counsel, Montpelier Housing Authority
- Counsel, Good Beginnings of Central Vermont
- Finance Council, Roman Catholic Diocese of Burlington
- Treasurer, Vermont Chapter Alzheimer’s Association
- Assistant Clerk, Vermont House of Representatives 1972-1974
- U.S. District Court for the District of Vermont
- U.S. Court of Appeals (Second Circuit)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Vermont Bar