Chris Oates brings considerable experience to his clients and concentrates his practice in the areas of commercial real estate and land use law. He is a former leader of the firm’s commercial real estate group.
- He is routinely involved in the acquisition, development, financing, and leasing of urban and suburban office complexes, mixed-use developments, hotels, and retail shopping center facilities.
- He has represented municipal interests and private developers in public/private joint ventures, economic incentive agreements, and other collaborations.
- He has also been involved with the negotiation of lease agreements, restrictive covenants, and operating and reciprocal easement agreements for developer, lender, and tenant clients.
- He has assisted developers with zoning issues and obtaining variances before municipal boards.
- He has written and lectured on commercial real estate leasing issues, especially the negotiation of retail leases.
General Counsel to the Charlotte Sports Foundation (Operator of ACC Championship and Belk Bowl Football Games)
- Past Chairman, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission
- Named Best Lawyers' 2015 Charlotte Land Use and Zoning Law "Lawyer of the Year.