Banks Sewell joined Lightfoot shortly after we opened our doors in 1991 after completing Vanderbilt Law School and a clerkship with the United States Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals. Since that time his practice has grown to include clients in virtually every industry across the commercial spectrum. Having successfully tried to verdict cases ranging from catastrophic product liability to consumer fraud to First Amendment claims, the majority of Banks’ time is now spent serving as national lead trial counsel for a number of manufacturers in the automotive and aviation industries. Recognition from his peers includes listing in the The Best Lawyers in America (including Birmingham Product Liability Lawyer of the year), the Alabama edition of Super Lawyers, Martindale Hubbell AV rating and membership in the Product Liability Advisory Council.
Representative matters include:
- Won a defense verdict on behalf of a major vehicle manufacturer in a wrongful death and quadriplegia product liability action alleging a defective vehicle suspension
- Won a defense verdict on behalf of an automotive manufacturer in a product liability case involving an infant seriously burned in a vehicular fire alleging defective vehicle design
- Won a defense verdict on behalf of a Class 8 vehicle manufacturer resulting from a vehicular fire allegedly caused by defective brakes
- Won a defense verdict in a product liability case involving an injury allegedly caused by a defect in a recalled productWon a defense verdict on behalf of a major movie studio in a 1st Amendment/false light claim brought by a Civil Rights era icon
- Won a defense verdict in a bad faith/breach of contract insurance dispute involving the denial of death benefits to an insured
- Won summary judgment in a multi-death plane crash case on behalf of an airframe manufacturer despite prior precedent finding a question of fact as to whether manufacturer had committed fraud on the FAA
- Defended a class action against a Fortune 500 company alleging defective component parts
- Serves as General Counsel and National Coordinating/Trial Counsel for a major component part supplier in the transportation industry
- Serves as National Trial Counsel for a Class 8 vehicle manufacturer in complex and catastrophic injury cases
- Serves as National Trial Counsel for the world’s largest do-it-yourself moving company
Banks is a firm believer in the tenacious but ethical representation of clients. His approach is to tailor his efforts to meet their needs, whether it be a speedy resolution or through trial and into appellate courts. Banks understands that knowledge of the law is not enough; effective representation requires knowledge of the client, the client’s industry and how to simply, but forcefully, communicate with opposing counsel, the jury and the Court.
Outside the practice of law, Banks is a proud husband and father of two, as well as a committed outdoorsman and pilot. He and his family are involved in a variety of community activities.