Glen A. Bloom
Law School:Carleton University
Location:340 Albert Street, Suite 1900Ottawa, ON K1R 7Y6
- Carleton University, BA
- Queen’s University, LL.B
- Ontario, The Law Society of Upper Canada
- Canadian Bar Association - Member
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers for:
- Intellectual Property Law, Ottawa (2010)
- Expert Guides: Trade Mark Law Practitioners
- Who’s Who Legal: Trademarks
- WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals: Enforcement & Litigation
- Managing IP: IP Star – Canada
- Benchmark Litigation Canada: Intellectual Property
- The Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Litigation Lawyers in Canada: Intellectual Property
- The Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada: Intellectual Property
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory: Intellectual Property (Most Frequently Recommended); Litigation – Intellectual Property; Computer and IT Law
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Business Lawyers: Intellectual Property Litigation
Areas of Expertise:
- Re:Sound: Represented Re:Sound, formally the Neighbouring Rights Collective of Canada, in numerous proposed copyright tariffs in proceedings before the Copyright Board of Canada, on judicial review before the Federal Court of Appeal and on appeal before the Supreme Court of Canada. The proposed tariffs included tariffs relating to commercial radio stations, satellite radio, nightclubs, fitness centres, over-the-air and cable television, and motion picture theatres.
- Canadian Recording Industry Association (CRIA), now Music Canada: Represented CRIA in its appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada in SOCAN v. Bell Canada concerning the application of fair dealing to the downloading of sound recordings of musical works over the Internet.
- Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC): Represented AUCC in proceedings before the Copyright Board of Canada on a proposed tariff related to the reproduction of published works by post-secondary educational institutions and in an intervention before the Supreme Court of Canada concerning the application of fair dealing to educational institutions.
- Louis Vuitton Malletier, S.A.: Represented Louis Vuitton Malletier Inc. in proceedings for trade-mark infringement and passing off relating to advertisement for automobiles placed by Honda Canada Inc.
- Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. (MLSE): Represented MLSE in defending an action of copyright in musical works and non-payment of royalties for concerts held at Air Canada Centre, Canada’s preeminent concert venue.
- ratiopharm Inc. (now Teva Canada Inc.): Represented ratiopharm Inc. in applications under the Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations before the Federal Court of Canada and Federal Court of Appeal.
- CCH Canada Ltd., Thompson Canada Ltd. and Canada Law Book Inc.: Represented the law publisher plaintiffs in an action for copyright infringement which, as a result of the appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada in CCH Canada v. Law Society of Upper Canada, is the leading case in Canada on fair dealing.
- Canadian Motion Picture Distributors Association (CMPDA), now MPA Canada, and CRIA: Represented CMPDA and CRIA in one of the initial judicial or tribunal proceedings worldwide concerning the use of musical works on the Internet, including representing CRIA in the appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada in SOCAN v. Canadian Association of Internet Providers.
- Tommy Hilfiger Licensing Inc. (THLI): Represented THLI in numerous actions for trade-mark infringement and passing off related to the famous trade-marks of THLI, which included trials before the Federal Court of Canada and appeals before the Federal Court of Appeal.
TransCanada Tower, Suite 2500
450 First Street, SW
Calgary, AB T2P 5H1
1055 West Hastings Street, Suite 1700
Vancouver, BC V6E 2E9
340 Albert Street, Suite 1900
Ottawa, ON K1R 7Y6
1000, rue De La Gauchetière Ouest
Montréal, QC H3B 4W5
620 Eighth Avenue, 36th Floor
New York, NY 10018