François Rouette is a graduate from Université Laval in Quebec City where he received his law degree in 1974. He was called to the Bar of Quebec in 1975 and the same year, became a member of Flynn Rivard where he practised until this firm ended its operations in November 2003. He immediately joined Cain Lamarre Casgrain Wells as a partner.
From 1980 to 1989 he was professor at the École de formation professionnelle du Barreau du Québec (Bar admission courses) where he taught rules of evidence as well as civil and trial procedure. In 1981-82, Mr. Rouette was President of the Young Bar Association of Quebec; he was also a member of the General Council of the Quebec Bar in 1981-82 and from 1984 to 1986.
After having first acted as the Director for the Province of Quebec of the Canadian Transport Lawyers Association from 1981 to 1984 and then as its Treasurer and Vice-president from 1984 to 1986, he was the President of that association in 1986-87. He is also a member of the Transportation Lawyers Association (U.S.) and was actively involved with the North American Committee on Surface Transportation, a tri-national committee mandated to formulate and submit proposals in view of harmonizing the law and practice of surface transportation of goods between Canada, the United States and Mexico through the development of a uniform liability regime among those countries.
In June 2001, François Rouette was the recipient of a National Transportation Week Award of Excellence in recognition of "his distinguished service to the Canadian and international transportation communities". In April of 2006, he was informed that he had been selected to be included in the first edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada, an honour considered by the public in general as well as the legal community as the highest form of professional distinction: an honour which has since been repeated with every yearly edition.
Mr. Rouette's practice is primarily and almost exclusively focused on transportation matters, more particularly road transport by bus or by truck, which has lead him to deal with questions involving liability issues such as freight claims, administrative law, insurance or torts in general (contractual as well as extra-contractual). He regularly acts before the Courts and administrative tribunals, frequently appears before Parliamentary Commissions to present the views of the trucking industry regarding transportation related legislation and assists clients in their dealings with lawmakers and governmental bodies. Mr. Rouette has frequently been asked to act as speaker and present papers at conferences and workshops sponsored by various associations from the transportation industry.
François Rouette works from our offices in Quebec City and Montreal.
• Equity partner
• Head, professional committee on transportation
Education: LL.B., Université Laval (1974)
On the Roll of the Order: 1975
• Cain Lamarre Casgrain Wells (Quebec City) (2003 to present)
• Flynn Rivard (Quebec City) (1975 to 2003)
Lecturing, Conferences, Publications:
• Author of "L’encadrement légal du transport routier par véhicules lourds au Québec", published by CCH
• Instructor, evidence, civil procedure, and advocacy, Quebec Bar Association professional training school
• Instructor, legal environment of road transportation, B.A. in Transportation and Logistics, UQAM
• Various lectures and training sessions on transportation law in Canada and the United States
• Many briefs on draft regulations and legislation on behalf of various transportation industry associations
• Articles on transportation law in trade magazines
Associations, Committees, Boards:
• Member, Canadian Transport Lawyers Association
• Member, Transportation Lawyers Association (United States)
• Member, Club de trafic de Québec
• Former president, Canadian Transport Lawyers Association
• Former vice president, Club de trafic de Québec
• Former member, General Council, Quebec Bar Association
• Former member, Bar committee on the new Quebec Civil Code
• Former president, Quebec City Junior Bar Association
• Transportation law expertise recognized in Best Lawyers in Canada and L’Expert
• Lifetime Membership Award, Canadian Transport Lawyers Association
• Award of Excellence for exemplary contribution to the transportation industry, National Transportation Week