Brent focuses his practice on business and personal tax planning, leading projects for restructuring, split-ups, acquisitions, asset divestitures and financings.
He represents clients in tax disputes, representing clients before the Canada Revenue Agency, Department of Justice and Department of Finance. From the Alberta Government to the Institute of Chartered Accountants, Brent has worked with a variety of government, industry and volunteer organizations to improve tax laws.
For the past 30 years, Brent has shaped strategic solutions for public and private corporations. He has been instrumental to Felesky Flynn, progressing from partner in 1989 to joint managing partner in 2002.
Brent was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 2010, while also garnering national recognition in publications like Best Lawyers in Canada, the Legal Lexpert Directory, Martindale-Hubbell and Chambers.
He has authored papers and taught seminars for numerous groups, including the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Alberta, the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants, the Canadian Tax Foundation, the Canadian Bar Association and many more.
Brent has served as a Governor for the Canadian Tax Foundation (2005 to 2008 and 2014 to 2020), Chair of the CTF Executive Committee in 2016 and Chair of the CTF Board of Governors in 2017. He has also taught accounting as a sessional lecturer at the University of Alberta.
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel, 2000
- Called to the Alberta Bar, 1982
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B), University of Alberta, 1981
- Bachelor of Commerce (B.Comm, Accounting and Finance), University of Alberta, 1978
- Awarded the gold medal for highest academic standing in graduating class
Memberships & Affiliations
- Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers Tax Committee (Chair 2004)
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member, Canadian Petroleum Tax Society
- Past Governor, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Past President and Founding Director, Minerva Fundraising Foundation
- Past Board Member, Strathcona Tweedsmuir School
- Past Member, Independent Petroleum Association Income Tax Committee
- Past Board Member, Salvation Army, Board of Directors
- Past Director, Canadian Petroleum Tax Society
- Past Chair, Tax Specialists Section (Southern), Alberta Branch, Canadian Bar Association
- Past Editor-in-Chief, Canadian Petroleum Tax Journal
- Past Board Member, A.E. Cross Nature Conservancy Foundation
- Coach, Calgary Minor Hockey Association (1990-2006)