Erin is an estate planning and real estate lawyer with 36 years of experience. She maintains a robust practice that covers estate planning, real estate and the probate and administration of estates. Erin’s deep experience in both estate planning and real estate law enables her to prepare tax planned estates with lasting relevance.
Erin advises clients on Wills, Personal Care Directives and Powers of Attorney – all recommended elements of a comprehensive estate plan. She also serves as a compassionate advisor to Executors about their duties when administering an estate. Erin’s services include:
- Drafting wills;
- Drafting trusts including Alter Ego Trusts and Joint Partner Trusts;
- Drafting powers of attorney;
- Drafting personal care directives;
- Identifying tax issues in estate planning; and
- Probating wills and assisting with estate distribution.
Erin works closely with buyers and sellers of residential and commercial real estate, providing sound advice in plain language to ensure clients understand every aspect of a transaction. She also advises on land migration matters. Erin’s services include:
- Purchasing and selling real estate;
- Land migrations;
- Mortgaging or refinancing real estate; and
- Completing deeds for estate planning purposes.
Erin has written and lectured on the topics of real estate and estate planning. Erin is recognized by Best Lawyers® Canada as Lawyer of the Year for Real Estate in Halifax. Erin received her Trust and Estate Practitioner (TEP) designation in 2005.
- LL.B., Dalhousie University Law School (1983)
- B.Sc., Dalhousie University (1980)
- Admitted to the bar in 1984
- Sits on the Nova Scotia Barristers' Society Will Standards Committee
- Former Real Estate Lawyers Association of Nova Scotia (RELANS) board member
- Halifax Estate Planning Council (member and former President
- Society of Trust and Estates Practitioners (STEP) member
- Recipient of Trust and Estate Planner (TEP) designation
- Canadian Bar Association member