E. Blaine Rawson, shareholder, is a member of the Firm’s Litigation Section and the Chair of the Environmental and Natural Resources Section. Mr. Rawson has been practicing environmental, natural resources law, and commercial litigation since 1995. His expertise covers Clean Air Act, CERCLA, RCRA, and Clean Water Act litigation and counseling, as well as related state issues such as groundwater, underground storage tanks, and state air quality law.
Mr. Rawson has represented energy and natural resource companies in matters related to the federal and state permitting of, and litigation and enforcement actions related to, crude oil and natural gas pipelines, coal-fired power plants, syn-fuel facilities, hard-rock mines and natural gas processing facilities. He also has practiced in many areas of commercial litigation in both federal and state courts related to electrical generation, regulated utilities, oil and gas production, transportation, and refining. Mr. Rawson has written articles regarding underground storage tank regulation, water rights, injunctive relief in environmental cases and the “overfilling” authority of the EPA. Mr. Rawson has also spoken at several seminars regarding power plant permitting, supplemental environmental projects, Clean Air Act permitting and other environmental topics.
- Both prosecuted and defended large, complex cases regarding underground storage tank leaks and spills in administrative proceedings, state court, and federal court. In these cases, have represented individuals, automotive dealers, oil and gas distributors, convenience store owners, and others.
- Represented many companies requesting ongoing advice regarding RCRA issues, such as Bevill exemptions, waste characterization, recycling, PCBs, and generator and transporter compliance issues. These companies include oil, gas and mining companies.
- Prosecuted and defended citizen suit actions under RCRA.
- Represented plaintiffs in citizen suit actions to compel environmental remediation activities, including sites in Utah.
- Supervised the transfer of all environmental permits required by the merger of major oil, mining and energy companies. These permit transfers included air, water, and various local environmental permits.
- Supervised the acquisition of all environmental and land use permits for major energy projects, including pipelines, alternative energy projects, etc.
- Assisted with obtaining a PSD permit for a coal-fired electrical power plant and defended environmental organization’s challenge to same PSD permit before Air Quality Board, including successful challenge to argument that permit was invalid for failure to control greenhouse gases.
- Represented major source in defense of alleged PSD and NSR violations at five facilities. Representation includes demonstration that no “significant net emissions increases” have occurred or that specific modifications have been “routine maintenance” for purposes of PSD/NSR.