Doug Cloud is a founding partner with Kazmarek Mowrey Cloud Laseter LLP in Atlanta. Doug's environmental practice centers on regulatory, permitting and transactional matters, with special focus on Clean Air Act matters, hazardous sites cleanup and brownfields redevelopment. He defends clients in federal and state enforcement proceedings, supports in-house compliance training and audits and provides representation in critical agency rulemakings. His experience includes managing the environmental aspects of a wide variety of corporate, real estate, and financing transactions. Doug is the HSRA Workgroup Chair for the Georgia Industry Environmental Coalition (GIEC) and a leading drafter of the Georgia Voluntary Remediation Program (VRP) Act. He is recognized in Chambers USA, Best Lawyers in America, Who’s Who Legal Georgia and Georgia Trend's Legal Elite.
Successfully defended clients against:
- Combined federal and state enforcement actions for alleged excess air emissions by a manufacturer. Settled for a fraction of the penalty assessment.
- Alleged NPDES and erosion and sedimentation violations by a developer. Resolved with no work stoppage.
- Combined state and federal RCRA/HSWA proceedings for legacy industrial cleanup sites and CERCLA claims for various PRPs.
- Indoor air quality disputes involving alleged mold exposure claims for a nationwide asset manager.
Environmental counsel in transactions involving:
- Divestiture of millions of acres of timberlands, including year-long due diligence and structuring complex risk allocation mechanisms.
- Redevelopment of several 100-year old brownfields sites in Canada and the U.S., including negotiating with governmental agencies for liability protections and obtaining environmental insurance coverage.
- $2 billion mixed use project involving post-closing remediation to obtain final regulatory closure.