With over 30 years of tax law experience, Don is skilled at creative problem solving and tax planning for owner-managed businesses. He also has extensive expertise in dispute resolution and litigation for income tax, GST and customs. Don has been a Chartered Accountant (now CPA) since 1981 and a lawyer since 1988.
Don has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in Canada as Lawyer of Year for his work in Tax Law in both 2019 and 2021. He was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 2008 and also focuses on tax planning for private corporations and family farm organizations.
He often lectures for CPA Alberta, CPA Saskatchewan and the Canadian Bar Association. He has published a variety of papers on corporate tax, GST, estate planning and international tax.
Don was the GST and Income Tax Advisor for the Edmonton 2001 World Championships in Athletics, was a minor hockey coach and is an active long distance runner.
- Fellow, Chartered Professional Accountants of Alberta, 2015
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel, 2008
- Called to the Alberta Bar, 1988
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) (with Distinction), University of Alberta, 1987
- Qualified as a Chartered Accountant, 1981
- Bachelor of Commerce (B.Comm) (with Distinction), University of Alberta, 1979
Memberships & Affiliations
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member, Chartered Professional Accountants of Alberta
- Past Governor, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Past Vice-Chair, Tax Law Section (North), Canadian Bar Association (Alberta)
- Past Member, Tax Court of Canada Bench & Bar Committee, Canadian Bar Association