Recognized since 2018
Litigation - Construction
Litigation - Real Estate
Real Estate Law
Mr. Chipman is admitted to practice in Colorado and Illinois. He specializes in complex commercial litigation as well as real estate, construction, and lender disputes. As a trusted counselor and a zealous advocate, Mr. Chipman tackles complex and difficult issues in a cost-effective way. He has over two decades of trial and appellate experience in state and federal courts and in alternative venues such as arbitration.
Before becoming a founding member of Chipman Glasser, Mr. Chipman was an associate and shareholder at Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck from 1996 to 2011. Before then, he practiced with Kirkland & Ellis in Chicago. Following law school, he completed a judicial clerkship for the Honorable J. Thomas Greene of the United States District Court for the District of Utah.
• Commercial Litigation:
- Assisted the owner of a Colorado-based computer cabling company in a complex buy-out dispute with a California-based LLC member.
- Assisted a Colorado-based health plan company in defending against RICO and ERISA claims brought as a class action.
- Defended a U.S. citizen in a state-court dispute involving both the operation of a Costa Rican beach resort and the ownership of ranch property in Colorado.
- Assisted an Idaho-based cattle producer in prosecuting fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and breach of contract claims against a Colorado-based feedlot owner.
- Assisted a Colorado-based bison producer in prosecuting breach of contract claims against an out-of-state bison seller who failed to deliver the promised animals.
- Defended a Texas-based business in contract and fraud litigation involving the sale of over 100 dry clean stores in Texas, Oklahoma, and Colorado.
- Prosecuted in Colorado state court and in Arizona bankruptcy court an abuse of process, tortious interference, and defamation claim against perpetrators from Arizona and California.
- Assisted a Canadian-based mining equipment manufacturer in resolving environmental contribution claims relating surrounding a Denver manufacturing facility.
- Assists on an on-going basis a Mexican-based cement and basic materials company, along with its U.S. affiliates, by providing construction project and business counsel, and litigation representation.
- Assisted a Colorado-based resort community in prosecuting (through bankruptcy) a claim for violation of Colorado’s contractor trust fund statute.
- Assisted an Ohio-based concrete subcontractor in prosecuting payment claims involving the construction of the Asian Tropics project at the Denver Zoo.
- Assisted a Denver hotel in contract and excessive lien claims arising from a hotel-wide renovation project.
Real Estate Litigation/Foreclosure:
- Assisted two Texas-based companies in coordinating, resolving, and prosecuting various tenant-in-common and foreclosure disputes relating to a 6,500 acre parcel of land near Denver International Airport.
- Assisted a Denver-based health plan company, as a tenant, in enforcing lease rights involving office space in two office buildings along 17th Street in Denver.
- Assisted a Colorado ranch owner in resolving easement and other disputes relating to a disputed irrigation dam across the Rio Grande River.
- Assisted mountain landowners in enforcing the termination of disputed easement and bridge rights across the South Platte River.
- Assisted a New York-based private lender in prosecuting the foreclosure of the Pueblo Shopping Mall in Pueblo, Colorado.
- Assisted a New York-based lender in prosecuting the foreclosure of resort property in Breckenridge, Colorado.
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- “Loan Sale Seminar,” CLE Panelist, Denver, Colorado, April 2011
- “Drafting and Enforcing Commercial Leases: Tenant Defenses,” CLE, Speaker, Denver, Colorado, January 2008
- Mechanic’s Liens & Foreclosures 101” CLE, Speaker, Denver, Colorado, June 2008
- “Homeowner Protection Act of 2007: HB1336,” Brownstein Real Estate Client Alert, April 2007.
- “New Act Affects Pro Rata Liability of Construction Professionals: Senate Bill 07-087,” Brownstein Real Estate Client Alert, April 2007.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, LLP, Associate (1996-2001), Shareholder (2001-2011)
- Kirkland & Ellis, LLP, Associate (1993-1996)
- Law Clerk, Honorable J. Thomas Greene, United States District Court, District of Utah (1992-1993)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Construction Law
- Litigation - Construction
- Litigation - Real Estate
- Real Estate Law
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.