Dave Baker is Of Counsel with the Bricker & Eckler's Real Estate group. He practices in the areas of real estate development and leasing, construction and permanent mortgage lending, and title insurance, with an emphasis in handling all aspects of real estate acquisitions, development and financing for major corporations, health care providers, investors and developers, including sale/leaseback and ground lease/leasehold transactions. He has considerable experience representing insurance companies, financial institutions, real estate investment trusts and other lenders in construction loans, development loans, permanent loans and troubled loan workouts, and representing major corporations in connection with their site selection, relocation and development efforts and economic incentives in Ohio.
Dave's experience, attention to meaningful detail, problem solving skills, common sense, resourcefulness, and work ethic give him the performance edge that clients recognize as added value to their projects. Clients count on Dave as a trusted adviser who can help them accomplish their goals.
- Assist Fortune 500 Companies in connection with locating operations centers, distribution centers and warehouses in Ohio, including rezonings, variances, environmental permittings and remediations, financings, and coordinating tax abatement and other economic incentives from state and local governmental agencies with the firm's state and local tax and public finance groups.
- Negotiate the turnover of a major manufacturing and high-tech repair facility on a US Air Force Base to a newly created Port Authority to facilitate the privatization-in-place of that facility and retention of jobs, and assist with leasing additional build-to-suit space for other tenants and expansion of the resulting Port Authority owned industrial park to create additional development sites and new jobs in the community.
- Negotiate build-to-suit leases with developers on behalf of industrial and manufacturing clients, including one of the state's largest employers, for manufacturing facilities, factory distribution centers, and warehouses, and negotiate related easements, construction contracts and energy contracts.
- Assemble land from multiple owners and clear the title to create manufacturing sites of desired size to accommodate office and warehouse space, as well as manufacturing space, including assembling over 800 acres for a $470 million brewery.
- Negotiate and document relocation of easements with public utility companies to clear a real estate site for a manufacturer's development.
- Represent parties in connection with facilitating economic incentives for manufacturers and financings for new construction through several of Ohio’s Port Authorities, including obtaining exemptions from sales taxes for otherwise taxable portions of the construction as a result of the Port Authority’s involvement.
- Lead counsel on single-family residential subdivision development, including development of customized deed restrictions and form multi-lot contracts for home builders.
- Lead counsel for major national office building and hotel developer, handling all aspects of Ohio transactions and acting as lead counsel for all out-of-state transactions, including $181 million, 48-story, 1,100,000 square foot office tower.
- Represent Central Ohio developer in creating Declaration and Design Guidelines for commercial retail subdivision, and prepare and negotiate contracts for sale of lots to local and national restaurants, hotels and retailers.
- Represent shopping center developers in connection with site acquisition, development, zoning, construction financing, leasing and permanent financing, as well as ground leasing and sale of outlots.
- Lead counsel for national rehab syndication developer, including $22 million 4-star luxury historic-rehab hotel.
- Lead counsel for foreign investor’s consortium in acquisition of then largest apartment complex in Central Ohio valued at over $20 million.
- Title insurance counsel for acquisition of fee and 99-year leasehold estates to assemble site for $100 million State of Ohio Office Tower.
- Lead counsel for development of luxury hotel in riverfront urban renewal project involving air rights, private and public financing and a joint venture of local businesses, including four Fortune 500 companies.
- Represent Trust Department of national financial institution in all aspects of sale and leasing of office and retail real estate, and reinvestment pursuant to deferred like-kind exchanges.
- Admitted by Courts as expert witness in cases involving complex real estate finance and title areas of law.