Darren Fooks is a consultant in our Energy and Resources team.
Darren has been practising corporate and commercial law for over 25 years and during that time has advised on a wide range of legal issues. He is recognised as one of Australia’s foremost experts in relation to Mining, Oil & Gas and Electricity projects and developing strategies for successful client outcomes. Darren is one of the foremost recognised Native Title and Cultural Heritage practitioners and has acted in all aspects of Native Title and Cultural Heritage law and negotiation.
Darren also has personally acted in the development and operation of over 80 Australian onshore and offshore projects, including LNG projects in Gladstone and Offshore Timor Sea projects like Bayu-Undan and Black Tip.
Darren travels to Asia quarterly and works closely with Asian clients. Darren works to ‘build the bridge’ across corporate and country cultures, to assist investment. Darren is listed on the Brisbane PRC Consulate’s website as the No.1 Service Provider for SOE Investment into Australia.
Darren has acted for both Government and Private sector clients in relation to a range of matters.
Recent experience includes:
- Linc Energy assets (Qld) – Assisting foreign bidders in relation to the tender of the majority of the Linc Energy assets (UCG technology IP, Queensland coal assets
- Sinopec – Acted for Sinopec in relation to investment issues into an LNG project in Queensland.
- Bindaree Beef – Acting for Chinese investors in relation to the acquisition of a 45% interest in Bindaree Beef, the holder of the Inverell Abattoir and Myola Feelot.
- Sonoma Coal Project (Qld) – Darren acted as Lead Partner for the QCoal Group on the selldown of interests in the Sonoma Coal Project to Cleveland Cliffs Inc (USA) , JFE (Japan), China Steel (Taiwan) and Watami Trading Ltd (India)
- Drake Project Selldown – Acted for QCoal in relation to selldown on interest in relation to its Sonoma and Drake Projects, including carrying out internal investigations and setting up due diligence processes.