Craig Stewart has over twenty-five years of jury and jury-waived trial experience in insurance coverage and bad faith litigation as well as in a wide variety of products liability and complex commercial matters. He has successfully defended professional and specialty lines liability carriers against claims of bad faith claims handling, denial of coverage and failure to settle brought by policy holders claiming millions of dollars in actual and punitive damages. He has served on the national trial team and as Massachusetts coordinating counsel for product liability claims of an international medical device manufacturer, and has tried to verdict multiple products liability and general negligence cases.
In addition, Craig is an experienced commercial litigator who has represented corporations in a number of different industries including the defense of pharmaceutical manufacturers against claims of patent infringement and theft of trade secrets.
Craig is a Vice Chair of the Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee of the Tort Trial and Insurance Section of the ABA and is an active member of the Defense Research Institute and the Council on Litigation Management. He is also a Trustee and Past President of Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, the primary provider of continuing legal education in the Commonwealth.
- Defense of national insurer against claims of wrongful denial of coverage and bad faith claims handling; and prosecution of counterclaim for recoupment of amount paid in settlement of underlying claim. Multimillion dollar settlement in favor of insurer and dismissal of complaint
- Defense of medical malpractice insurance against claims of bad faith refusal to settle arising out of multimillion dollar excess verdicts
- As National Coordinating Counsel for national multi-line insurer, provides guidance on preventing, handling and defending extracontractual claims in jurisdictions throughout the United States
- Defense of national insurers in multiple jurisdictions against claims of bad faith denial of coverage, bad faith settlement practices, and bad faith claims handling in connection with a broad spectrum of policies and coverages including D&O, E&O, CGL, professional liability, financial institutions, property, construction defect, UM/UIM and workers compensation
- Defense of national class action against international manufacturer of radiant heating panels alleging breach of warranty, negligent design, supervision and failure to warn. Class certification denied and all individual claims settled on favorable terms
- Defense of putative class action against manufacturer of artificial hips alleging breach of contract, breach of warranty, and negligent misrepresentation. Motion to dismiss granted
- Member, National Trial Team, and Massachusetts counsel for Baxter International and Baxter Healthcare Corporation. Defense of medical device products liability claims
- Defense of national manufacturer of cooking ranges against claims of breach of warranty and negligent design allegedly resulting in stove explosion causing plaintiff to be burned over 70% of his body. Defense verdict after jury trial
- Defense of international engineering firm in action alleging defective specification and design of electrical system for new twenty-seven story hotel, arising out of explosion and fire destroying hotel electrical equipment room and resultant claims for multimillion dollar economic loss. Defense verdict after jury trial
- Defense of international hotel chain against claims of inadequate security by plaintiff seeking punitive damages for brain injury and three month hospitalization arising out of attack. Defense verdict after jury trial
- Defense of international pharmaceutical corporation in cross border litigation against claims of unfair competition and misappropriation of trade secrets seeking over $60 million in damages
- Defense of air to ground missile guidance system component manufacturer against claims of breach of warranty and misrepresentation seeking damages of over $30 million
RECOGNITION & INVOLVEMENT
In 2015 and 2016, Craig was recognized by The Best Lawyers in America in the practice areas of Insurance Law and Product Liability - Defendants. He was also named a "New England Super Lawyer" by Law & Politics magazine from 2009-2014.
Craig is an avid hiker and member of the Appalachian Mountain Club.