Christopher R. Mosley
Recognized in:Commercial LitigationInsurance Law
Law School:University of California Los Angeles
Location:633 Seventeenth Street, Suite 3000Denver, CO 80202-3624
- University of California Los Angeles, JD, graduated 1991
- Claremont McKenna College, BA, graduated 1988
- Colorado Bar Association - Member
- American Bar Association – Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee - Chair
- California Bar Association - Member
- Catholic Lawyers Guild - Member
- RIMS – The Risk Management Society – Rocky Mountain Chapter - Member
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in:
- Commercial Litigation
- Insurance Law
- Martindale Hubbell – AV Rating
- Fellow, American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel
- Recognized by 5280 Magazine as Top Lawyer – Insurance, 2017
- Colorado Super Lawyers – Insurance Coverage and Commercial Litigation
- Colorado Super Lawyers – Top 100
- Selected as “Barrister’s Best” policyholder coverage lawyer by Law Week Colorado, 2014
Areas of Expertise:
- Bad Faith
- Corporate Policy Holders
- Policy Holder
- Recovery & Advisory
- Successfully negotiated $14.8 million recovery for a general contractor in connection with a claim involving various public buildings.
- Recovered $12.65 million for a developer in connection with a complex environmental clean up of former Air Force base.
- On behalf of a trust company, successfully recovered more than $6 million in attorneys’ fees and costs incurred in connection with a Bernard L. Madoff- related class action.
- Obtained jury verdict in excess of $4 million in a two week insurance bad faith lawsuit involving an insurance company’s denial of coverage for an employment related lawsuit.
- Obtained a $1 million default judgment against an insurer in connection with a claim for coverage of a construction defect dispute.
- Successfully negotiated a $19 million insurance recovery for a municipality for damages arising from a defectively constructed water system which supplies water to 40% of the municipality’s residents.
- On behalf of a trust company, successfully recovered $1.7 million in attorney’s fees and costs incurred in connection with a breach of fiduciary duty claim under a Bankers Professional Liability policy.
- On behalf of a bank, successfully negotiated a $6 million recovery from an insurer under a directors’ and officers’ liability policy to settle claims asserted against the bank for alleged securities violations.
- Successfully negotiated recovery of $7million insurance recovery for general contract for the settlement of a multi-family residential construction defect lawsuit.
- Successfully negotiated a settlement of a multi-million dollar construction surety dispute during the middle of a three week trial.
- Successfully negotiated coverage for settlement of oil spill related personal injury claim involving $50 million in alleged damages.
- On behalf of a contractor, successfully negotiated payment in full by the client’s insurer of a settlement in a $5 million construction defect claim involving a multi-unit condominium project.
- Successfully negotiated the reinstatement of a $3 million life insurance policy following the life insurance company’s attempt to cancel the policy for alleged non-payment of premium.
- On behalf of a contractor, successfully negotiated the payment of a $4.5 million settlement by multiple insurers in connection with a construction defect claim relating to defective windows installed in a high end condominium project.
- On behalf of a developer, successfully negotiated the payment in full by the client’s insurer of a settlement in a $1 million personal injury claim arising from the defective construction of a model home.
- On behalf of a prior owner of land, successfully negotiated the payment in full by the client’s insurer of a settlement in a $1 million construction defect claim involving damages arising from a heaving soil condition.
- Successfully negotiated payment by a client’s property insurer in connection with a claim for the cost to repair a college dormitory building owned and operated by the client which was damaged by fire.
- Successfully negotiated a favorable settlement of a $600,000 stop loss health insurance claim where the stop loss insurer sought improperly to rescind the policy.
- Speaker, Appraisal: What Is For The Court And What Is For The Appraisal Panel – ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Session – February 20, 2015 – 2015 Midyear Meeting, Phoenix, AZ
- Panelist, Construction Super Conference, “Shifting the Risk, Sharing the Load, Balancing the Interests: (Ethics),” December 2, 2014, Las Vegas, NV
- Co-Presenter with John Mill and Jared Berg, “Construction Defect Claims in Multi-Family Residential – Risk Reduction, Contract and Insurance Strategies for General Contractors,” Associated General Contractors of Colorado, October 22, 2014
- The Risk Management Society, Rocky Mountain Chapter, “The Expanding Role of the Risk Manager,” September 26, 2013
- There’s Something In The Air: Coverage for Climate Change, Air Emissions, and Oil Spills – ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section – 2011 Midyear Meeting, Phoenix, AZ
- Resolving Catastrophic Multi-Party Construction Insurance Cases, American Bar Association 2010 Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA
- Webinar, Managing Public Construction In A Challenging Economy, May 12, 2010
- Insurance Coverage Issues Arising Out Of The 2009 Financial Crisis – Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, 2010 Midyear Meeting, Phoenix, AZ
- Stipulated Judgments & Garnishment – The Latest Battle In The Coverage Of Settlements War, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, 2009 Midyear Meeting, Los Angeles, CA
- Coverage For Construction Defect Claims: A Policyholder’s Perspective – Defense Research Institute Insurance Coverage And Practice Symposium, New York City, New York, December 2008
- Damage To A Contractor’s Work Product: Is There An “Occurrence” – ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, 2008 Midyear Meeting, Marina Del Rey, CA
- EPLI & D&O Coverage – What Every Business Should Know – Sherman & Howard Annual Employment Law Seminar, April 2008
- Recent Developments In Insurance Coverage For Construction Defect Litigation – Update On Insurance Coverage Issues – Sherman & Howard Annual Construction Law Seminar, 2006-2011, Denver, CO
- The Impact of Recent Legislation on the Colorado Construction and Real Estate Development Industry – Impact On Insurance Coverage Issues – 2007, Denver, CO
- Ethical Considerations For Insurer-Appointed Defense Counsel Defending Environmental Claims – Colorado Bar Association, Environmental Committee – 2006, Denver, CO
- Doing Your Homework Upfront – How To Maximize Your Insurance Coverage, 2005, Denver, CO
- Practical Advice On How To Protect Against Individual Liability Through Insurance – PEI, Denver CO – May 2004
- The Insurer Agreed To Defend, Now What??? Strategies For Insurance Defense Counsel In Employment Disputes, 2004, Denver, CO
- Author, Four Key Steps To Maximizing Insurance Coverage For Construction Defects – Construction Executive – April 2009
- Author, Coverage For Construction Defect Claims: A Policyholder’s Perspective – Defense Research Institute Insurance Coverage And Practice Symposium, New York City, New York, December 2008
- Author, Damage To A Contractor’s Work Product: Is There An “Occurrence” – ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, 2008 Midyear Meeting, Marina Del Rey, CA
201 East Washington Street, Suite 800
Phoenix, AZ 85004
7033 East Greenway Parkway, Suite 250
Scottsdale, AZ 85254
730 East Durant Avenue, Suite 200
Aspen, CO 81611
90 South Cascade Avenue, Suite 1500
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
Two Peachtree Pointe, Suite 850
1555 Peachtree Street NE
Atlanta, GA 30309
50 West Liberty Street, Suite 1000
Reno, NV 89501
500 Marquette Avenue Northwest, Suite 1203
Albuquerque, NM 87102