Recognized in:Commercial LitigationConstruction Law...
Law School:Georgetown University Law Center
Location:633 Seventeenth Street, Suite 3000Denver, CO 80202-3624
- Georgetown University Law Center, JD, cum laude, graduated 1985
- George Washington University, BA, graduated 1981
- American Bar Association Forum on the Construction Industry - Member
- Colorado Women’s Bar Association (2002-2004) - Board Member
- Construction Litigation Committee, American Bar Association, Section of Litigation (2004-2008) - Programs Co-Chair
- Construction Litigation Committee, American Bar Association, Section of Litigation (2008-2010) - Co-Chair
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals (inactive) - Admitted
- Pitkin County Bar Association - Member
- Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals - Admitted
- American Arbitration Association, Panel of Neutrals, Construction - Member
- Colorado Supreme Court - Admitted
- Federal Circuit Court of Appeals - Admitted
- Sherman & Howard Litigation Department (2008-2011) - Assistant Manager
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado - Admitted
- United States Supreme Court - Admitted
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers for:
- Insurance Law, Denver (2017)
- Construction Law, Denver (2014)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in:
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Law
- Insurance Law
- Litigation - Construction
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Honored as Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers, 2014
- Honored as a 5280 Top Lawyer, 2016
- Obtained $20 million verdict, including $9 million in punitive damages, in 13 week federal jury trial for runway contractor at Denver International Airport.
- Successfully mediated claims in excess of $100 million on behalf of telecommunications company brought by general contractor on national cable system rebuild.
- Successfully defended municipality in trial to the court on over thirty claims, obtained defense verdict on all claims and award of attorneys’ fees as sanction. Award affirmed on appeal.
- Appointed Special Assistant Attorney General to represent State of Colorado in arbitration of claims brought by highway contractor.
- Counsel for public utility in settlement of claims arising out of conversion of nuclear power plant to gas fired.
- Counsel for public utility in settlement of claims arising out of construction defects at city-wide chill plant.
- Counsel for airline fuel consortium in settlement of claims for cost overruns on construction of fuel delivery system at San Francisco International Airport.
- Counsel for municipality in settlement of claims arising out of cost sharing agreement among water right owners for maintenance costs at Standley Lake Reservoir.
- Represented County in defense of claims brought by general contractor and design team on jail expansion project, obtaining net settlement payment to County of over $5 million on counterclaims and third-party claims against contractor’s surety and design team.
- Successfully defended housing authority in trial to the court on $1 million claim for cost overruns and delays, obtaining dismissal of all claims after plaintiff’s case. Subsequently litigated and collected substantial cost award.
- Successfully defended lessee in commercial lease dispute, obtaining dismissal of all claims and award of attorneys’ fees as sanction.
- Successfully defended environmental engineering firm on claims brought by commercial developer in Vail arising out of soil report.
- Counsel for national engineering firm in settlement of claims arising out of construction of passenger bridge at Denver International Airport.
- Successfully arbitrated recovery action on behalf of insurance company obtaining award of approximately $1 million.
- Quigley v. Rosenthal, 327 F.3d 104 (10th Cir. 2003), cert. denied.
- Bangert Bros. Const. Co., Inc. v. Kiewit Western Co., 310 F.3d 1278 (10th Cir. 2002)
- Nauert v. Nava Leisure U.S.A., Inc., 211 F.3d 1278 (10th Cir. 2000) (unpublished)
- Mehaffy, Rider, Windholz & Wilson v. Central Bank Denver, N.A., 892 P.2d 230 (Colo. 1995)
- New Design Construction v. City of Thornton, Colorado, Colorado Court of Appeals, Case No. 10CA2212 (2012)(unpublished) cert. denied.
- Ivan and Lisa Kaufman, Trustees v. Solaris Property Owner, LLC, Colorado Court of Appeals, Case No. 11CA 0244(2012) (unpublished)
- PCL Construction Services, Inc. v. Protech Theatrical Services, Inc., Colorado Court of Appeals, Case No. 09CA0597 (2010)(unpublished)
- Steven N. Hirsch, as Trustee for the Franklin Nominee Trust v. James Grant Hunt and Janie A. Hunt, Colorado Court of Appeals, Case No. 06CA1434 (2007) (unpublished)
- Marais Gaylord, L.L.C. v. BRM Construction, Inc., 2007 WL 1839799 (Colo. App. 2007), cert. denied.
- Buckhannon v. US West Communications, Inc., 928 P.2d 1331 (Colo. App. 1996)
- Central Bank Denver, N.A. v. Mehaffy, Rider, Windholz & Wilson, 865 P.2d 862 (Colo. App. 1993)
- Klancke v. Smith, 829 P.2d 464 (Colo. App. 1991)
Representative Construction Contracts
- Represented municipalities in negotiation and preparation of design and construction contracts for field house, police station, civic center, and convention center.
- Represented county in review of construction contract for relocating utility lines on Las Vegas Strip.
- Represented numerous airline fuel consortia in negotiation, review and preparation of construction and design contracts for tank farm and jet fuel distribution facilities, including O’Hare, Logan, San Francisco, Dulles, JFK, LAX, Oakland, San Jose, Salt Lake, Denver, Milwaukee, San Diego, Seattle, Fort Myers, Kansas City, Orange County, Nashville, Rhode Island, Portland and Dallas/Fort Worth.
- Moderator, ABA Forum on the Construction Industry, Plenary Program on Jury Research, Scottsdale, AZ (April 2011)
- Panelist, ABA Print and Web Editors Symposium, Chicago, IL (September 2007)
- Moderator, ABA Section of Litigation Annual Meeting, “Experts and the eDiscovery Problem,” San Antonio, TX (April 2007)
- Speaker, ABA Forum on the Construction Industry, plenary program involving mock summary judgment briefing and oral argument on notice, Scottsdale, AZ (October 2006)
- Moderator, ABA Section of Litigation Annual Meeting, “Reconstruction After a Disaster – Terrorism, Weather and Other Acts of God and Man,” New York, NY (April 2005)
- Holt, Tyrone, Stalder, Jeffrey, and Wiessner, Charlotte. “Standard Construction Contract Clauses from the Perspective of the Owner, Contractor and Architect.” Seminar: Construction Law. Denver: Colorado Bar Association CLE (April 2004)
- Wiessner, Charlotte. “The Use of Jury Consultants.” Construct! – Construction Litigation Committee of the American Bar Association, Section of Litigation. Spring 2003: Vol. 12 Num. 2
- Wiessner, Charlotte. “Copyright Issues of Plans and Specs for Architects and Engineers.” Seminar: Construction Litigation in Colorado. Denver: Lorman Education Services, June 26, 2002
201 East Washington Street, Suite 800
Phoenix, AZ 85004
7033 East Greenway Parkway, Suite 250
Scottsdale, AZ 85254
730 East Durant Avenue, Suite 200
Aspen, CO 81611
90 South Cascade Avenue, Suite 1500
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
Two Peachtree Pointe, Suite 850
1555 Peachtree Street NE
Atlanta, GA 30309
50 West Liberty Street, Suite 1000
Reno, NV 89501
500 Marquette Avenue Northwest, Suite 1203
Albuquerque, NM 87102