Charles Marshall helps businesses, digital media companies, and trade associations avoid and solve complex legal problems. Whether litigating cases in state or federal court, negotiating with regulators, or drafting legislative solutions, he brings a diverse breadth of experience from his time spent as a U.S. Department of Justice lawyer, a Capitol Hill policy advisor, and now more than a decade in private legal practice.
Charles has been increasingly active in advising companies in their digital and social marketing and media operations—a practice that blends his knowledge of Internet law, litigation, and, regulatory compliance. He helps develop best practices with respect to copyrighted content, online advertising, and consumer privacy, and he has worked with start-up companies, media companies, and even national political campaigns.
As a litigator, Charles has argued more than 15 cases in the federal and state appellate courts, argued many complex commercial matters before the North Carolina Business Court, and has appeared regularly in federal and state trial and administrative courts.
Mr. Marshall also is a leader in the firm’s political and election law practice. He counsels clients on state and federal campaign finance laws, political advertising rules, rules regarding tax-exempt political activity, and state and federal ethics issues. He also regularly speaks and writes on election law topics.
Charles is a native of Charlotte and worked in Washington, DC before joining the firm in 2003. He serves on the Board of Visitors at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, coaches youth football at the Salvation Army, and is a contributor to Walter magazine.
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation and Government Relations
- Recognized by North Carolina Super Lawyers in Business Litigation, 2012-2017
Professional & Community Activities
- Board of Visitors, University of North Carolina (State Relations Chair)
- Youth Flag Football Coach, Salvation Army of Wake County
- Contributing Writer, Walter Magazine
Publications & Presentations
- Co-presenter, "Digital Marketing Blues," Internet Summit, Raleigh, NC (November 2016)
- Presenter, "Digital Media and Marketing," UNC Festival of Legal Learning (February 2015)
- Presenter, "Responding to a Data Breach," Banking Security Summit, North Carolina Bankers Association (October 2014)
- Presenter, Digital Legal & Compliance 101 Panel Discussion, North Carolina Association of Broadcasters (June 2014)
- Presenter, "Tax Consequences of Lobbying and Political Advocacy," North Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants (May 2014)
- Panelist, Representing Your Local Broadcaster, ABA Forum on Communications Law (April 2014)
- Co-author, “Commercial Free TV and Aereo: What Lies Ahead for Content Owners in the Wake of the Ninth Circuit’s AutoHop Decision,” Communications Lawyer (November 2013)
- Co-author, “Prior Restraint 2.0: A Framework for Applying Section 230 to Online Journalism,” 1 Wake Forest J.L.& Pol'y 75 (May 2011)
- Co-author, “Supreme Court Rocks Campaign Finance Boat,” Triad Business Journal (2010)
- Moderator, “Recent Developments in Election Law,” North Carolina Professional Lobbyists Association (October 2013)
- Panelist, “Copyright and the Internet: Giving Broadcasters the Cold Shoulder?” American Bar Association, Representing Your Local Broadcaster (April 2013)
- Presenter, “Citizens United and Corporate Political Speech: New Opportunities and Obstacles,” Professional Lobbyists Association (October 2010)
- Presenter, “Indemnification, Attorneys’ Fees and Arbitration Provisions in Contracts,” North Carolina Bar Association, Business Law Section Annual Meeting (February 2010)
- Presenter, “Recent Developments in Communications Law,” UNC Festival of Legal Learning, (February 2008)
- Charles Marshall Leads Election Laws Panel at the NC Professional Lobbyists Association’s Annual Meeting
- Brooks Pierce Lawyers Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016
- Brooks Pierce Broadcasting Clients Prevail in U.S. Supreme Court
- Corporate Political Speech After Citizens United v. FEC, Triad Business Journal
- Brooks Pierce Partners Successful in Pro Bono Taser Case
- Brooks Pierce's Newsroom Law Blog
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Brooks Pierce Partners Discuss Cybersecurity at NCTA Event
- Brooks Pierce Partners to Speak on Digital Marketing at 2014 Internet Summit
- Brooks Pierce to Host Association of Corporate Counsel Event
- Brooks Pierce Attorneys Present at NCAB Annual Convention
- Marshall Presents at Business Law Institute
- Brooks Pierce Attorneys Participate in 2015 Festival of Legal Learning