Carol provides legal advice on areas of environmental law, from regulatory compliance counseling and transactional strategies, to the remediation and redevelopment of contaminated properties. Carol attended law school at Georgia State University, where she was Editor-in-Chief of the Law Review. As a former in-house environmental counsel at a major chemical company, Carol brings a unique business-based perspective to environmental compliance.
Carol counsels clients on permitting strategies, compliance with technology, disclosure obligations and governmental approvals. She has significant experience with environmental liabilities associated with real estate transactions, financial institutions and corporate acquisitions, and has developed a wide range of innovative strategies to overcome common environmental impediments.
Carol has an extensive practice advising industrial and manufacturing companies on environmental compliance issues. She has represented potentially responsible parties in state and federal Superfund cases and has advised clients on the cleanup of contaminated property under the Georgia mini-Superfund ("HSRA"), CERCLA, the Underground Storage Tank Act and RCRA. She routinely represents clients before federal, state and local administrative agencies.
Carol has been consistently recognized as a Georgia Super Lawyer in Atlanta Magazine, as one of America´s Leading Business Lawyers by Chambers USA, and consistently included in The Best Lawyers in America in the area of Environmental Law.
Recent Representative Experience
- Exclusive outside environmental counsel to a real estate special servicer firm, supervising thousands of due diligence efforts per year for a variety of commercial, industrial and multi-family properties throughout the United States.
- Oversight of environmental compliance for a national firm providing housing on military bases throughout the United States.
- Primary outside environmental counsel to a major utility with regard to the company’s investigation and cleanup of dozens of contaminated sites located throughout the Eastern United States.
- Successfully managed the environmental compliance and approval processes for brownfield redevelopments throughout the Southeast.
- Successfully managed compliance with an EPA-mandated investigation and cleanup of contaminated property of a former manufacturing facility located in a residential neighborhood.