Brian has developed a litigation practice based upon a commitment to alternate dispute resolution including mediations, arbitrations and judicial dispute resolutions for expedient and cost effective resolution of his client's matters. He has experience at all levels of Courts in Alberta, the four Western Canadian provinces and the Northwest Territories.
Brian's practice areas and experience include:
- Insurance litigation including commercial general liability, wrap up liability, course of construction claims, automotive and personal injury, SEF 44 defence, occupiers liability, coverage issues and subrogation;
- Construction litigation including claims relating to delay, differing site conditions, insufficient plans and specifications, failure to coordinate and schedule, failure to cooperate, liability after completion, bonding issues, builders liens and other project related disputes, either in litigation, arbitration or mediation;
- Residential home warranty claims involving defect claims, condominium corporation claims, arbitration and subrogation;
- Product liability and manufacturers liability litigation;
- General commercial litigation including contractual and shareholders disputes;
- Surety and Fidelity Claims;
- Class action litigation;
- Commercial lease disputes and arbitrations.
Brian was a Sessional Lecturer at the University of Alberta Faculty of Law and is a regular instructor in the CPLED program. He has also presented papers to the insurance industry on legislative issues. Brian was a community league soccer coordinator and coach 1998 to 2007 and a Coach for the Edmonton Drillers Minor Soccer Club 2005 to 2006. He is also a member of the University of Alberta Golden Bears Soccer Alumni, as well as other community organizations. In addition he was a youth basketball coach and president of a high school basketball association.
Brian is a member of the Canadian Defence Lawyers, Defense Research Institute, The Advocates Society and the Canadian Bar Association. And he is a past member of the board of directors of the Edmonton Golf and Country Club.