Brian Smeenk is a Toronto partner in the Labour, Employment & Human Rights Group of Fasken, Martineau DuMoulin, one of Canada's leading law firms. Since 1981, Brian's practice has focused on management-side labour and employment law.
Brian represents both private sector and public sector employers in all aspects of labour relations and employment law. He appears regularly before tribunals such as arbitration boards, labour relations boards, employment standards adjudicators and human rights boards of inquiry. Brian also acts as counsel in judicial reviews and appeals before the Ontario and federal courts.
He has extensive experience in labour negotiations for a wide variety of employers in the private and public sectors, including school boards, hospitals and York University. In 1995, he was a member of the national mediation-arbitration panels chaired by Mr. Justice George Adams to resolve national railroad strikes involving CP Rail and five of its unions.
Brian was the founding editor of Fasken's weekly bulletin, HR Space, as well as Northern Exposure – Employment Law for US Companies with Operations in Canada, a blog published by HR Hero.com until 2018. He is a past director of the Human Resources Professionals' Association of Ontario (HRPAO) and past-president of both the Toronto Human Resource Professionals Association and the Toronto Area Industrial Relations Association. He also is the Fasken's primary representative on the North America-wide Employers' Counsel Network (see www.employerscounsel.net).
Brian appears in the 2009-2017 editions of Chambers Global: The Worlds Leading Lawyers, as a leading lawyer in the area of labour and pensions employment. He also appears in the 2007 - 2016 editions of Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, a guide to the leading law firms and practitioners in Canada, as a leading lawyer in the area of labour relations.
Honours and Awards
- 2014: named Paul Harris Fellow by Rotary Foundation of Rotary International
- 2014 International Law Office Client Choice Award for Employment and Labour in Ontario
- Fellow, College of Labor and Employment Lawyers (since 2015)
- Chambers Global 2009-2016 for Employment and Labour
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2007-2016 for Labour Relations
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2006-2016 for Labour and Employment Law
- Practical Law Company's Labour and Employee Benefits for Labour
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV Preeminent" rating