Brian's practice focuses on the managerial side of employment and labour issues, including executive employment arrangements, retention arrangements, restrictive covenants, privacy law matters, employment disputes and human rights complaints. He frequently advises corporations on the employment and privacy law ramifications of corporate transactions and the effects of non-competition and non-solicitation agreements. He has also worked with corporations to facilitate the development and implementation of privacy and employment policies including management training.
Brian has appeared as counsel in the Provincial Court of Alberta - Civil Division and before the Alberta Human Rights Commission, the Court of Queen's Bench of Alberta and the Court of Appeal of Alberta.
Brian is Co-Practice Group Leader of the Firm's national Employment & Labour Group and Practice Group Leader of the Privacy Group in our Calgary office.
- Negotiating, drafting and advising on the employment, labour and privacy aspects of corporate transactions
- Advising and trouble shooting for corporate clients on all aspects of labour, employment and privacy compliance, including training of employees, managers and privacy officers within organizations
- Collective bargaining and advising clients on complex corporate transactions involving unionized and non-unionized employees
- Preparing and drafting the employment policies, guidelines, executive employment contracts and restrictive covenants for corporate clients
- Litigation involving the interpretation of executive employment contracts, shareholder disputes, wrongful dismissal actions, non-competition and non-solicitation agreements and share purchase agreements
- Advising clients in privacy law including drafting privacy policies, complaint procedures, Web site information packages, Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP) requests and assisting clients with Privacy Commissioner complaint
Brian has been involved in the employment and labour aspects of the following matters:
- Safeway on its C$5.8-billion sale of Canada Safeway to Sobeys
- Agrium Inc. in connection with its C$1.8-billion supported funding of Glencore International plc's C$6.1-billion acquisition of Viterra Inc, and the subsequent acquisition by Agrium of Viterra's wholesale and retail agri-products division
- Keller Group on its C$320-million purchase of North American Energy Partners' piling division
- Agrium Inc. on its C$915-million disposition of Viterra's interest in Canadian Fertilizer Limited's nitrogen production facilities to CF Industries
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Brian has been recognized as a leading labour and employment lawyer by the following publications:
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2015 (Labour and Employment Law)
- Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business 2014-15 (Leaders in their Fields)
- The 2012 Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Litigation Lawyers in Canada (as one of the "Litigation Lawyers to Watch")
- Lexpert magazine, November/December 2011(named a "Lexpert Rising Star," honouring Canada's leading lawyers under 40)