In over twenty years of practice, Susan Cohen has guided her clients through the myriad of complex legal and practical questions that can arise before, during and after the conclusion of family law cases. She has earned a reputation for integrity, accessibility and excellence based upon the results she has obtained addressing legal issues pertaining to divorce, property settlement, child related issues, prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, and other family law matters.
Susan recognizes that although these issues all have a legal basis, there is also a significant personal component attached, which must be individually addressed as needed with each client. She finds great professional satisfaction helping families solve complex matrimonial problems while making challenging decisions. Susan's master's degree in counseling has readily translated into her role as a skilled matrimonial law attorney who assists families with conflict resolution through negotiation, mediation, arbitration, and trial, only if necessary.
Susan practices primarily in the tri-county area of Oakland,
Macomb and Wayne counties, but also handles cases in surrounding counties,
including Livingston, Washtenaw, Genessee and others. She also handles cases in
Northern Michigan, including Grand Traverse and Leelanau counties.
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 2002-Present
- President, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Michigan Chapter, 2014-2015
- Secretary, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Michigan Chapter, 2013-2014
- Treasurer, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Michigan Chapter, 2012-2013
- Best Lawyers in America, 2013-Present
- U.S. News, Best Lawyers®, Best Law Firms, 2013-Present
- Michigan Super Lawyer, Top 50 Women Lawyers in Michigan, 2008-Present
- Michigan Super Lawyer, Top 100 Lawyers in Michigan
- dBusiness Top 100 Lawyers
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated SM by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Martindale-Hubbell® Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers™
- Michigan Super Lawyer, Top 25 Women Lawyers in Michigan, 2016-Present
Firm Practice Areas
- Family Law