We are an evolved provider of legal solutions, in Australia and overseas.
HBA Legal formed in 2011 as a specialist insurance law firm, today servicing clients in all states and territories across Australia. We also have a strong presence in the London insurance market. We work with top 20 ASX listed companies, underwriters, brokers, insurers, insureds, and large self-insured companies. We are one of Australia’s leading defendant-only insurance legal practices, forging the way in creative problem solving and commercially oriented solutions.
HBA Legal was formed to challenge the traditional law firm model and instead bring clients fast, efficient, and commercially savvy legal services. Our mission remains the same today as at the beginning – to simplify and solve clients’ problems across the insurance industry, working innovatively in all that we do.
HBA does not have the shackles of bureaucracy and traditional thinking so often seen in big firms, which enables us to have true business partnerships with clients where we focus on the clients’ business goals, and we see significant success to that end. This is achieved the ‘HBA Way’, following NewLaw principles, which pivot on flexibility, accessibility and innovation.
With offices in Perth, Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Canberra and Newcastle, we drive our ‘One HBA’ business model, removing borders to draw on the skill and experience of our people across the network, wherever they sit in relation to the client and regardless of which Partner they may report to internally. And while we have the geographical reach enjoyed by larger national law firms, there is a unique difference with HBA: we do not charge our clients for travel time, airfares or accommodation.
HBA’s entire philosophy revolves around effective and timely solutions and working collaboratively with in-house teams. Big business can depend on HBA for a focus on optimal outcomes, resolution of matters at the first realistic opportunity, and a strong working partnership characterised by responsiveness and honesty.
We partner with clients to take on their challenges, and our flexible approach means we structure service, fees and anything in between to suit each client. We talk like real people, and through our culture of innovation, we have fun finding ways to make things better. HBA is continuing to challenge the status quo in regards to legal fees: our fee structure options include monthly retainers ('all you can eat' style), fixed fees, and hourly rates.
HBA is able to offer exceptional value for money because we do things differently – we work smarter compared with traditional law firms and process excellence is at the core of what we do. The whole philosophy behind HBA is based on this. HBA’s flexible fee structures, combined with the team’s experience and expertise means the firm’s efficiency is the client’s gain.
Since HBA’s inception in 2011, legal entrepreneurs (and HBA's Directors) Nathan Hepple and Brett Ablong have gone on to create the HBA Group, three allied businesses that together power new solutions and exceptional outcomes for clients. Their vision to pioneer change in the legal industry, to help relieve clients’ commercial pressures, is being realised.
The HBA Group also comprises claims management business Paratus, and legal process and technology provider Pillion. In alliance with Paratus and Pillion, HBA is uniquely placed to offer clients a seamless approach to legal, claims and risk management, delivering significant bottom-line results.
That's innovation. That’s evolution. That’s HBA Legal.
Find out who is on #teamHBA by visiting our website: https://www.hbalegal.com/ourpeople/
- Winner: 2019 Australasian Lawyer Employer of Choice
- Winner: 2019 Australasian Lawyer Innovative Firms List
- 2019 Doyles Guide: Workers’ Compensation Recommended
- 2019 Doyles Guide: Medical Negligence Recommended
- 2019 Doyles Guide: CTP Recommended
- 2019 Doyles Guide: Public Liability Recommended
- 2019 Doyles Guide: Workers’ Compensation Lawyers (Ruth Slater)
- 2019 Doyles Guide: Compulsory Third Party Insurance Lawyers (Ruth Slater)
- 2019 Doyles Guide: Medical Negligence & Malpractice Lawyers (Dr Andrew Lu OAM)
- 2019 Australian Law Awards: Finalist, Insurance Team of the Year
- 2019 Australian Law Awards: Finalist, NewLaw Firm of the Year
- 2019 Australasian Law Awards: Finalist, Insurance Specialist Firm of the Year
- 2019 Australasian Law Awards: Finalist, Excellence in Technology & Innovation
- 2018 Doyles Guide: Leading Workers’ Compensation Law Firm (Defendant) WA
- 2018 Doyles Guide: Leading Compulsory Third Party Insurance Law Firm (Defendant), WA
- 2018 Doyles Guide: Leading Workers’ Compensation Lawyers (Defendant) WA (Ruth Slater)
- 2018 Doyles Guide: Leading Compulsory Third Party Insurance Lawyers (Defendant) – WA (Ruth Slater)
- 2018 Doyles Guide: Leading Public & Product Liability Lawyers (Defendant) – WA (Ruth Slater)
- 2018 Doyles Guide: Leading Medical Negligence & Malpractice Lawyers (Defendant) – WA (Dr Andrew Lu OAM)
About Our Clients
HBA is one of Australia’s leading defendant-only legal practices, forging the way in creative problem solving and commercially oriented solutions.
We act for top 20 ASX listed companies as well as state governments and the Commonwealth. HBA is one of a small number of firms appointed to the whole of Australian government legal panel.
Our clients are across industries such as retail, transport, hospitality and health and include car park operators, supermarket giants, managers of shopping centres and cleaning companies (and their insurers). We work with underwriters, brokers, insurers, insureds, and large self-insured companies.
Firm Practice Areas
- Government Practice
- Health and Aged Care Law
- Hospitality and Tourism Law
- Insurance Law
- Leisure and Licensing Law
- Medical Negligence
- Motor Vehicle Law
- Non-Profit / Charities Law
- Occupational Health and Safety Law
- Personal Injury Litigation
- Product Liability Litigation
- Professional Malpractice Litigation
- Retail Law
- Retirement Villages and Senior Living Law
Firm News & Media
Level 23, 10 Eagle Street
Brisbane QLD 4000
61 7 3307 5500
Level Eight, 121 Marcus Clarke Street
Canberra ACT 2600
+61 (0) 2 8311 0787
Nine, William Street
Melbourne 3121 VIC
+61 (0) 477 586 816
Suite Two, 255 Hunter Street
Newcastle 2300 NSW
+61 (0) 2 4044 4100
Level 20, 140 St Georges Tce
Perth WA 6000
61 8 9265 6000
Level Five, 228 Pitt Street
Sydney NSW 2000
61 2 9376 1100