1 The Best Lawyers in America® awards
ESTATE TRANSACTION SUPPORT
Assisting clients who purchase, sell, finance, develop, lease and manage real property. Our practice involves diverse asset types including vacant land, office buildings, medical offices, shopping centers, strip malls, residential housing complexes, industrial park facilities, and redevelopment sites.
ACQUISITION, DEVELOPMENT AND DISPOSITION
Experienced in the negotiation of complex contracts and due diligence review including title, survey and property condition. Assists clients in developing commercial and mixed use projects with reciprocal easements, covenants and restrictions to address the rights and interests of multiple owners and users of complex mixed use projects. Experienced in developing complex condominium ownership structures, including organization of commercial and residential condominium associations to facilitate and enhance ownership and future development. We also provide our clients with advice on certain tax aspects in real estate transactions, including 1031 exchanges and other tax incentives and benefits.
Significantly experienced with representation of landlords and tenants in complex leasing transactions for various asset types, including commercial office retail and shopping center, industrial uses, as well as long-term ground and specialty leases, including cell tower, restaurant and net leases. As a result of this extensive experience, are sensitive to the issues surrounding lease administration and have developed a practical and cost-effective solution to complex leasing issues.
REAL ESTATE FINANCE
Experience representing both borrowers and lenders in negotiating, structuring and documentation of sophisticated financing facilities for projects including asset based financing transactions, construction financing transactions, municipal finance transactions as well as low income housing tax credit financing transactions. We have significant experience serving as bond and disclosure council for the City of Jacksonville Florida.
REGULATORY AND GOVERNMENTAL LAW TRANSACTIONS
Highly skilled and experienced with land use and zoning matters on behalf of owners and developers, including permitting and regulatory matters relating to real estate development, as well as formation of special taxing district for community based needs.
- 100% Minority, Woman and Veteran Owned
- Fixed-Fee, predictable and competitive legal fees
- Highly rated, board-certified legal adviser
- Past employment and representative experience with military, local, state and federal government agencies
- Extensive and reliable professional network
- Lead counsel to Blue Cross Blue Shield in real estate leasing matters.
- Lead counsel to community association in efforts to establish a dependent special taxing district.
- Co-bond and co-disclosure counsel for the City of Jacksonville on over $1 Billion in bond issues.
- Lead counsel to FDIC in various commercial real estate matters.
- Local counsel to National Park Service in its acquisition of real estate for parks and conservation.
- Represented national lenders in commercial loan transactions involving various types of collateral.
- Represented local transportation authority in implementation of federal transportation regulations.
- Represented national lender as co-counsel in credit enhancement transactions for construction of low-income housing tax credit, multi-family housing projects.
- Served as co-counsel to underwriters for U.S. HUD in restructuring loans for multifamily housing.
- Served as counsel to borrowers in state and local loan transactions for multi-family low-income housing.
- Represented a national REIT in the acquisition, disposition and development of retail shopping centers.
- Represented a major utility company in obtaining concurrency rights for the development of a large natural gas powered electric generating station and in other real estate matters.
- Represented major big-box retailers in various land use matters throughout the state of Florida.
- Represented a national billboard advertising company in local regulatory matters.
- Served as counsel to the Jacksonville City Council, Mayor’s Office, the local planning agency and several regulatory boards and commissions advising on matters concerning real estate development and land use and zoning.
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Executive Council, Florida Bar, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Chair, Real Property Leasing Committee, Co-Chair, Legislative Update Committee, Co-Chair, Membership and Inclusion Committee, Florida Bar Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Board of Governors, Jacksonville Chamber of Commerce
- Jacksonville Bar Association, Real Property Law Section (Section Chair 2004-2006)
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Board of Advisers, Jacksonville University Public Policy Institute
- Board of Directors, Clearly Jacksonville
- Board of Directors, Waverly Academy, Inc.
- Board of Directors, Jacksonville Chamber of Commerce (2015)
- Florida Bar Leadership Academy Class I (2014)
- Leadership Jacksonville Class of 2012
- Board of Directors (Past President) Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW) Jacksonville (2009-2015)
- Board of Directors, Mandarin Museum and Historical Society (2009-2015)
- Florida Bar Realtor-Attorney Joint Committee (2011-2013)
- Board of Directors, OneJax – 2004-2012 (Board Chair 2009-2011)
- Board of Directors, Habitat for Humanity of Jacksonville, Inc. (2010-2012)
- Mobility Plan Task Force, City of Jacksonville (2010-2011)
- Board of Directors, Lutheran Social Services of Northeast Florida (2006-2010)
- JCCI 2010 Race Relations Report Card Review Committee
- Jacksonville Economic Development Commission (2008-2010)
- Historic Preservation Commission (2007-2008)
- Jacksonville City Council Blue Ribbon Commission on Abandoned Cemeteries (2006)
- Member, Mayor’s Transition Team, Subcommittee for Fire and Rescue (2003)
- Life Member, University of Florida Alumni Association
- Member, Links, Incorporated - Bold City Chapter; Chapter Recording Secretary (2019-2021)
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- Northeast Florida’s Top 25 Most Influential Women, Jacksonville Business Journal, September, 2011
- City’s Top Lobbyists – 904 Magazine, August, 2008
- Who’s Who - American Law Students, 1998 ed.
- Book Award, Real Property, 1998
ARTICLES AND LECTURES
- What Are My Rights Again? The Confusion Underlying Rights of First Refusal and Options, December 2016
- Law for a Lawyer’s Own Business: Risk Allocation in Commercial Leases, RPPTL Section Webinar, June 2016
- Florida Bar Continuing Legal Education, Use of Estoppel Letters in Real Estate Transactions, March 2015
- Nuts and Bolts of Commercial Real Estate Leasing, CREW Jacksonville, August 2010
- “5 Clauses to Consider when you Lease Commercial Property,” Jacksonville Advantage Magazine, May 2010
- Instructor, Fundamentals of Commercial Real Estate Closings, Lorman Group, March 2008
- J.D., with honors, University of Florida Levin College of Law, 2000
- B.S., summa cum laude, Business Administration, Jacksonville University, 1997
- Florida Bar Board Certification – Real Estate Law
- Small and Emerging Business (JSEB) and Minority Business Enterprise (MBE), City of Jacksonville
- Minority Business Enterprise, State of Florida Office of Supplier Diversity
- Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE), Florida United Certification Program (FDOT)
- Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships)
- Real Estate Law
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.