Wendy is co-Chair of Osler’s Technology Group. Wendy specializes in outsourcing and other complex corporate and commercial transactions relating to technology products and services and business processes and related regulatory and other legal issues including the following areas: payment systems and networks; cloud computing; OSFI B-10 compliance; privacy; data protection; public and private procurement; offshore and nearshore transactions; e-commerce; social media; anti-spam; consumer protection; marketing and advertising; and intellectual property protection and licensing. Wendy has extensive experience advising financial services, telecommunications, energy, life sciences, e-commerce companies and retailers in these areas.
In addition to being ranked in Who’s Who Legal: Technology Media & Telecommunications 2015 and Who’s Who Legal 2015, Wendy is also recognized in The Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada 2014 (Technology Transactions); The Best Lawyers in Canada 2015 (Information Technology Law; Technology Law); Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Business Lawyers 2014 (Information Technology); The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2014 (Computer & IT Law; Technology Transactions); Lexpert Special Edition: Canada’s Leading Infrastructure Lawyers 2013; Expert Guides Women in Business Law 2013 (Technology, Media & Telecommunications); Expert Guides The Legal Media Group Guides to the World’s Leading Lawyers 2011 (Technology, Media & Telecommunications: Information Technology).
Wendy has spoken extensively on legal issues relating to outsourcing, joint ventures, licensing and other technology transactions, commercialization of intellectual property, privacy, the internet and e-commerce. She is widely published. Her recent articles and presentations include:
· Mobile Payment Technology Issues: The Eighteenth Annual Canadian IT Law Association Conference, October 21, 2014.
· Data Considerations in Payment Ecosystems, 2014 AccessPrivacy Annual Privacy Conference, June 25, 2014.
· Privacy, Security and Ownership of Mobile Payments Data, The 2014 Information Technology Law Spring Forum (presented by IT.Can and The Law Society of Upper Canada), June 16, 2014.
· Supplier Risk Management: Emerging Trends and Issues, Sourcing Interest Group (SIG), June 9, 2014.
· Moderator, Outsourcing: Latest Trends and Developments (The Vendors’ Perspective), Toronto Computer Lawyers Group, April 8, 2014.
· Outsourcing Latest Trends and Developments: Panel Discussion, Toronto Computer Lawyers Group, March 26, 2013.
· Increasing Efficiencies and Reducing Costs by Using Outsourcing Arrangements, Canadian Institute’s 19th Annual Regulatory Investigations for Financial Institutions, 2013.
· Co-Chair, The Seventeenth Annual Canadian IT Law Association Conference, October, 2013.
· Key Issues in Commercial Technology and Outsourcing Arrangements, the 2012 Information Technology Law Spring Training Forum, June 19, 2012.
· Revenue Recognition in Technology Contracting and Software Licensing: Canadian Bar Association Information Technology and E-Commerce Section, June 6, 2012.
· Tax Issues for Commercial IT Transactions, IT.Can and The Law Society of Upper Canada’s Eighth Annual IT Law Spring Training Program, May 2, 2008.
· Overview of Privacy Law in Canada, Federated Press Conference - Managing Privacy Compliance, April 23, 2008.
· Online Contracting - The State of the Law: Internet Law, The Second Wave - New Developments, Challenges and Strategies, Insight Conference, March 27, 2008.
· Advanced IT Commercial Contracting Issues, 11th Annual Canadian IT Law Association Conference, October 18, 2007.
· Getting Your Money’s Worth from Outsourcing: Minimizing Value Leakage from Your Outsourcing Transaction, International IT Law Summit 2007, June 8, 2007.
· Counsels' Perspectives on the Real Challenges of Outsourcing Here and Abroad: Examining the Details of the Toughest Clauses That Should Make It Into Your Contracts, International IT Law Conference, Los Angeles, June 9, 2005.
- HR outsourcing for a major Canadian bank
- renewal of an IT outsourcing agreement for a major Canadian bank
- outsourcing of a major customer-facing service offering for key business customers of a major Canadian bank
- development, hosting and operation of a trading platform for a major Canadian bank
- offshore outsourcing of several back office business processes for a major Canadian bank
- strategic alliance for the distribution of an innovative new technology through the merchant payment system network for a major Canadian bank
- development, hosting and support of on-line systems for a regulatory body
- enterprise-wide telecommunications services and network services agreement for a major Canadian bank
- development, hosting and support of an enterprise risk management system for a major Canadian bank
- development and support of a customer information system for a major Ontario utility
- development, hosting and support of a VOIP call centre technology platform for a major Canadian bank
- offshoring of call centre agent services and other back office processes for a major Canadian bank
- repatriation of a variety of technology and network services for a major Canadian bank
- development and support of integrated payment systems for debit, credit and stored value cards for a leading international food retailer