Wendy Berman, a senior partner in the Toronto office of Cassels Brock, is recognized as one of Canada’s leading securities litigators by Chambers Global, the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory and Best Lawyers in Canada. She practises commercial litigation with an emphasis on securities-related regulatory investigations and proceedings and has extensive experience dealing with Canadian regulatory and law enforcement agencies. Wendy regularly provides strategic advice and representation to companies and their directors and officers in all aspects of matters relating to allegations of corporate misconduct, including internal investigations and Canadian and cross-border parallel civil, regulatory and criminal investigations and proceedings. Wendy has represented public companies and directors and officers in some of Canada’s largest investigations and proceedings involving disclosure violations, insider trading and other fraud-related allegations, corruption and anti-bribery, shareholders’ remedies, litigation aspects of take-over bids and other acquisitions, corporate governance (including directors’ and officers’ liability) and securities class actions.
Wendy's experience includes:
- Representing senior officers in cross-border criminal and regulatory proceedings involving financial disclosure violations
- Representing a senior executive of a medical technology company in an internal investigation
- Representing a public company target in hostile takeover bid litigation
- Representing the special committee of a board of directors in litigation arising from a related party bid
- Representing a market participant in regulatory and civil proceedings from the recent credit crisis fallout
- Representing issuers in securities class proceedings involving allegations of improper stock option backdating and allegations of improper market timing
Wendy is recognized as a leading lawyer by Chambers Global, the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, the Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, the Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers in Canada and Best Lawyers in Canada. She is also the co-author of the Canada chapter of The International Investigations Review (3rd edition), published by Law Business Research Ltd. in July 2013.
In 2013, Wendy received the Lexpert Zenith Award, honouring leading women lawyers. In 2010 and 2011, Wendy was the Canadian recipient of the International Law Office (ILO) Client Choice Award for exceptional legal work and client service in the category of Litigation. Chosen from a pool of more than 2,000 nominees identified by corporate counsel worldwide, she was cited by her clients as providing real business value above and beyond other lawyers in the market based on the following criteria: quality of legal advice, value for money, commercial awareness, effective communication, response time, billing transparency, tailored fee structures, sharing of expertise and use of technology.
To view Wendy's complete bio, please click here.