J.R. was raised in north Florida, eventually migrating via graduate and law school to Ohio. Since his admission to the practice of law in 1979, he has worked in house for two insurance companies, served as assistant city prosecutor for the city of Columbus, Ohio, and since 1982, been engaged in practice as a civil trial lawyer. He is AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell since 1995.
J.R. has handled many significant cases involving injury and death related to auto accidents, defective products, electrocutions, medical negligence, brain injury, legal malpractice, truck accidents, and airplane crashes. Several of these matters have resulted in multi-million-dollar settlements or verdicts.
- In 2012, JR settled a claim on behalf of a truck driver who was injured when his semi rear-ended another semi that was illegally stopped on the highway and which was being driven by a trainee. In 2013, JR obtained a 2.8 million dollar verdict on behalf of a psychiatric patient whose neck was broken when he was improperly restrained by untrained hospital personnel.
- In 2008, JR participated as trial counsel in a case against the Franklin County, Ohio, Sheriff's Office for its failure to properly respond to the repeated 9-1-1 calls for emergency help from a woman who was being physically and sexually assaulted, resulting in her murder, and the jury awarded $2.75 million dollar judgment. JR received the 2008 Louisville Slugger Award from the Central Ohio Association for Justice for his work on this case.
- JR participated as trial counsel in a case that resulted in a multi-million-dollar verdict for a Wisconsin woman severely injured while riding a roller coaster at a northeast Ohio amusement park.
- In 2004, JR participated in the representation of an individual who experienced a severe brain injury as a result of being rear-ended by a semi tractor on the inner city portion of Interstate 70.
- In 2003, he participated in a case that was resolved for the benefit of a minor who suffered a traumatic brain injury when a semi truck pulled in front of the vehicle driven by his mother. Guaranteed pay out was in excess of $9 million, with a full life expectancy pay out in excess of $21 million.
- In 2001, JR tried to verdict a medical malpractice case in Hamilton County, Ohio, resulting in a $1.5 million verdict on behalf of his client.