Walt Tippett’s practice focuses on helping clients avoid business disputes and, when necessary, resolve them in court and through arbitration.
Walt particularly enjoys working with clients who work to improve and finance real estate in eastern North Carolina, where he grew up. His clients include commercial and residential developers and general contractors, financial entities and their borrowers and a wide variety of professionals and their practices.
With his extensive professional experience in the governance of privately held companies, Walt is especially adept at handling disputes concerning complex agreements to purchase, sell or finance business ventures. Having developed and financed real property, Walt has personal experience with the governance of closely held companies and commercial lender/borrower/guarantor relationships.
He also frequently helps clients with employment matters, premises liability, landlord-tenant issues and homeowners’ association disputes. His regulatory and administrative compliance experience includes matters before the medical, legal, dental, banking, engineering, audiology, contracting, insurance, environmental and real estate boards, agencies and commissions.
Walt has received a prestigious "AV" Peer Review Rating from LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell. The "AV" rating is the highest rating possible and signifies that reviewing lawyers outside Walt's firm consider him to have "Very High to Preeminent" legal ability and "Very High" ethical standards.
Prior to law school, Walt worked as a staff member of a standing Joint Committee of the United States Congress and as a barrister’s research assistant in Lincoln’s Inn, London.
Expanded Profile: Strategic Approach
Honors & Awards
- "AV" Peer Review Rating from LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White) in Commercial Litigation and Construction Law
- Recognized as a member of the "Legal Elite" by Business North Carolina magazine in Litigation (2014) and Construction Law (3013-2015)
Professional & Community Activities
- NCDRC Certified Superior Court Mediator
- Wake Education Partnership; Board of Directors: 2010-present, Counselor at Large, Executive Committee Member
- Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce; Board of Directors: 2013-2014
- Advisory Committee, North Carolina Real Estate Commission
- Federal Bar Association, Eastern District of North Carolina Chapter
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
Guest Lecturer, The University of North Carolina Dental School
Guest Lecturer, North Carolina State University School of Veterinary Medicine