Walter Ricciardi has extensive experience defending a broad variety of investigations conducted by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board and other regulatory authorities. Additionally, he has conducted several internal investigations for public companies and audit committees, including investigations related to allegations of accounting and financial fraud. Prior to joining Paul, Weiss in June 2008, Walter was the Deputy Director of the SEC's Division of Enforcement, where he supervised many of the Commission's most significant investigations related to financial fraud, insider trading, investment advisers, and broker-dealers.
Walter has served as lead counsel on the following regulatory defense matters:
- Representation of several major accounting firms in connection with investigations by the SEC and PCAOB related to independence, audit and financial statement issues.
- Representation of a global financial institution and its investment management company in connection with investigations by the SEC and Massachusetts Securities Division into the pricing by a mutual fund of mortgage-backed securities.
- Representation of a global financial institution in connection with investigations by the SEC, the New York Attorney General's Office, the Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission and the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations into collateralized debt obligation marketing practices.
- Representation of a global financial institution in connection with an investigation by the SEC in connection with auctions to liquidate collateralized debt obligation.
- Representation of a business development company in connection with an investigation by the SEC of valuation issues.
- Representation of an electronic trading firm and market maker in connection with an investigation by the SEC and NYAG of trading practices.
- Representation of a hedge fund adviser in connection with an investigation by the SEC of "pay to play" issues.
- Representation of several private equity and hedge fund advisers in connection with SEC investigations and examinations by the SEC's Office of Compliance, Inspections and Examinations.