A trained electrical engineer with corporate systems-engineering experience and a frequent lecturer on intellectual property topics, Kevin Ransom brings both technical expertise and legal know-how to his widely varying intellectual property clients, for both domestic and foreign IP portfolios.
The sophisticated services he provides his clients include:
- Obtaining patent protection in the U.S. and foreign patent offices.
- Infringement and invalidity investigations, conducting due diligence investigations related to corporate transactions.
- Preparing and negotiating license and joint-development agreements.
- Negotiating intellectual-property-related assets purchases.
- Licensing and purchasing intellectual property.
He also helps clients develop strategies to effectively manage their intellectual property, including risk management of third-party intellectual property rights, consulting on a wide range of transactions with intellectual property components.
Mr. Ransom works with clients in diverse areas of technology, including:
- Computer software/firmware
- Distributed networks
- Communications protocols
- Power-management systems
- Semiconductor manufacture
- Flight navigation
- Laser technology
- Printing technology
- Database management
He has also pursued numerous software and business-method inventions, such as on-line search engines, inventory and logistic systems, database management, web-crawling, online education delivery systems, web-based interfaces, online ticketing, financial instruments, insurance products, banking transactions, and more.
- Frequent speaker on intellectual property topics to business organizations and legal groups, including educational presentations to clients' employees
- Served as Executive Editor of the Tennessee Law Review
- Previously systems engineer, Analysis Measurement Services and Honeywell Corporation
- Licensed to practice in the State of North Carolina and before the United States Patent and Trademark Office