Darrell's practice focuses on commercial transactions, with an emphasis in the health care industry. His practice reflects the interplay among Corporate Finance / Securities Law, Health Law, and Real Estate Law. He has lent his experience to all aspects of the organization, reorganization, funding, and merger/acquisition of numerous entities, including specifically, hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, physical therapy companies, diagnostic centers, management services organizations, medical and dental practices, and home health agencies. He also provides guidance on operational and administrative issues.
- Syndication of partnership/company interests in hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, diagnostic centers, and medical office buildings, including preparation of private placement memorandums.
- Representation of physician / hospital partnerships in the development of hospitals, ambulatory surgical centers, diagnostic imaging centers and cath labs.
- Serves as outside general counsel to medical and dental practices.
- Representation of developers in the acquisition of real property and their negotiations with tenants.
- Acquisition of ambulatory surgery centers, laboratories, physical therapy companies, and other enterprises.
- Representation of business entities with regard to capital formation and in lending transactions.
- Ongoing representation of health care providers in medical staff issues, peer review hearings, physician licensing, confidentiality of medical records, delivery of patient care, Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement issues, fraud and abuse and operational issues.
- Representation of nonprofit health corporations certified by the Texas Medical Board on operational, employee benefit and tax-exempt issues.
- Obtained favorable advisory opinions from CMS that a specialty hospital was considered "under development" for purposes of the moratorium affecting the "whole hospital exception" to the Stark Law.
- Development and implementation of compliance programs and related policies and procedures.